Winston & Strawn has a workplace that is professional, team-oriented, and civic-minded where diverse talents and skills are highly valued.
Search Available Positions
We require that all applications be submitted via our online self-apply system rather than by email or hard copy. Duplicate applications to the individual recruiting contacts via email or hard copy are discouraged.
For hiring questions and staff opportunities, please direct inquiries to Traci McCarthy, Talent Acquisition Manager - U.S.
Winston & Strawn offers its employees a challenging work environment, emphasizes training and responsibility, and provides competitive compensation and progressive workplace policies. Because the firm believes that teamwork is an essential component in providing high quality legal services, we value the talents and skills of our entire staff. Staff contributions are recognized throughout the year with various staff appreciation programs.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Winston is committed to providing employment opportunities to individuals whose experience and abilities best match job requirements. Please click here for more information on our EEO policy.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION ACT
Winston & Strawn will provide reasonable accommodation to complete the online application consistent with applicable law. If you require an accommodation, please contact the location for which you are applying and ask to speak with the human resources representative or email email@example.com.
CCPA Notice of Employment Privacy Practice
View Winston & Strawn’s Notice of Employment Privacy Practices here.
Why Choose Winston?
Why Choose Winston?
Employee engagement at Winston & Strawn encompasses the complete career lifecycle—from hiring and integration to training and advancement. We provide the Winston Experience by:
- Fostering a culture of pride
- Offering meaningful and challenging work
- Providing career development to support professional growth
- Recognizing what we do and rewarding fairly
- Creating an environment of connection and appreciation
Talent development at Winston celebrates our history and culture, supports learning and innovation, and leverages diversity and inclusion.
- Welcome to Winston—an enhanced onboarding, orientation, and integration program for professional staff—incorporates fresh content on diversity and inclusion, Corporate Social Responsibility, and social media training and provides each new hire with a designated Mentor Connect resource person.
- Through our Winston for Good program, firm members across the globe regularly volunteer their time, talent, and energy by partnering with a variety of organizations to help enhance the lives of others. Local office teams coordinate multiple volunteer events each year, including attorney-staff collaboration opportunities.
- Our Winston University program provides world-class training globally to build the knowledge and skill needed for success and help professional staff reach the highest levels of performance and engagement. To enhance skills or develop new ones, our professional staff also have access to Star12, and online resource that provides classes on various topics.
- The firm’s STAR Employee Recognition Program recognizes staff for their outstanding achievements in the areas of service excellence, team work, acuity and ingenuity, and resource management. Our STAR program encourages creativity and innovation in the workplace, and allows staff to be formally praised in a timely manner.
- Winston provides a number of benefits and perks to support working parents and caregivers, including a progressive gender-neutral Parental Leave Program, Employee Assistance Plan work/life program, and enhanced back-up child and elder care benefit.
- In 2018, we launched a global “Year of the Heart” Winston Wellness initiative to provide both education and motivation to help firm members make healthy choices and reduce their risk factors for heart disease.
- Winston hosts internal programs that celebrate the diversity that exists at the firm and help foster an inclusive work environment. These programs— open to attorneys, professional staff, alumni, and clients—have included Hispanic Heritage Month, Black History Month, Women’s History Month, Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, and Pride Month.
Our talent team works with firm management to further enhance the retention and satisfaction of our professional staff through engagement surveys; local office WINLife teams that serve as a conduit for professional staff feedback; and an evaluation process that is meaningful, transparent, and goal-oriented.
View this brief video in which Lisa McLafferty, Winston’s Director of Attorney Recruiting & Development, explains how Winston ensures all new hires – both attorneys and staff – have a consistent and comprehensive onboarding experience.
Life @ Winston
What differentiates life at Winston & Strawn is the quality of our people. We have created a workplace that is professional, team-oriented, and civic-minded where the diverse talents and skills of our entire staff are highly valued.
“I wanted to be more entrepreneurial in my practice, and Winston has always encouraged me to be innovative.”
- David Enzminger, Los Angeles Intellectual Property Practice co-chair
“At Winston, working hard and working smart are equally valued. The firm’s flexibility and dedication to its employees make it a great place to work.”
- Holly Cook, Chicago, Global Practice Development Manager
“Firm leadership worked to ensure the success of each attorney in the new Dallas office, sending one unified message: welcome home.”
- Grant Schmidt, Dallas, Litigation Associate
“When I led my team to Winston, it was all about integration and doing everything possible to make sure that our practices and clients would prosper. We all became part of the Winston family on day one.”
- Jeffrey Kessler, New York, Antitrust/Competition Practice Chair
“I’m grateful the firm understands that pro bono work makes its attorneys stronger advocates for all types of clients.”
- Elizabeth Ireland, Charlotte, Associates Committee Co-Chair
“Our pro bono counsel encouraged me to take on board memberships at the National Immigrant Justice Center. It’s been a great role for me. I’ve done a number of asylum cases that are very gratifying because I see how I can make a difference in someone’s life.
- Ivan Poullaos, Chicago, Intellectual Property Partner
Director of Human Resources Julie Marcus discusses employee engagement at Winston & Strawn.
“Winston has provided many opportunities for me to develop my skills and further my growth. It’s been a challenging and rewarding experience.”
- Karen Godoy, Los Angeles, Records Supervisor
“I spent nearly six years working as an engineer at various start-up companies before going to law school. The experience of being in a service industry, interacting with clients, and dealing with their demands gave me very practical skills that I could readily transfer when I switched careers.”
- Wade Challacombe, Chicago, Corporate Of Counsel
“In the end, people make up a firm, and the people at Winston are the type of people you want to work with and for.”
- Sofia Arguello, New York, Litigation Associate
“I have a hard time imagining any other firm that can offer better opportunities to learn from and work alongside attorneys who are routinely recognized as the best lawyers in the courtroom.”
- Jovial Wong, Washington D.C., Intellectual Property Partner
“My first summer as an intern at the firm was an incredible experience. The skills I gained and relationships I built convinced me that I wanted to work at Winston after graduating.”
- Fuad Akinbiyi, Chicago, Partner Hiring & Alumni Relations Coordinator
We offer comprehensive benefits packages* to meet the individual needs of our employees. Employees who maintain a minimum of 20 hours per week are given the opportunity to participate in our package. Dependent coverage is also available.
- Medical coverage
- Dental coverage
- Vision coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Paid parental leave
- Backup child and elder care
- Long-term care coverage
- Life insurance
- Travel assistance
- Employee Assistance Plan
- MetLife home and auto
- Disability insurance
- Commuter benefit program
- Savings and retirement plans
- Paid time off
Employees, regardless of gender, who are parents of newborn and newly adopted children receive two weeks of fully paid parental leave. The firm also offers short-term disability leave following childbirth, with compensation during such leave determined by the employee’s tenure at the firm.
Employee Assistance Plan
The Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) is a work/life program available as a tool to assist employees and their families in managing work and care giving responsibilities. This confidential service is designed to save time, energy, and worry by offering quick and easy access to child care and elder care experts, educational material, and customized referrals that meet individual needs. The program provides employees with the opportunity to speak to a professional counselor or social worker at no cost. Also included in the our EAP program are complimentary “lunch & learns” and concierge services to meet your travel, entertainment, and household needs.
Backup Child and Elder Care
Our backup child care program provides a resource to parents with children (three months to 12 years) when regular day care is unavailable. This benefit is intended for short-term emergency use with access to facilities conveniently located near our various offices.
*Winston & Strawn reserves the right to modify, suspend, or terminate benefits in accordance with the respective plan documents. Any discrepancy between this website and the plan document is governed by the plan document.