Doug Yeager focuses his practice on all aspects of commercial real estate transactions, including leases (office, industrial, retail, build-to-suit, ground and sale/leaseback), acquisitions and dispositions (office, industrial, hotel, retail, multi-family and mixed use), and financing (interim, construction and permanent). He has also worked extensively in the loan workout, distressed asset and debt areas, including restructuring and bankruptcy transactions and foreclosures. Doug’s practice is national in scope, and his clients include some of the largest and most sophisticated players in the commercial real estate industry in the United States.
According to Chambers USA, clients say about Doug, “He provides an excellent and timely service with great attention to detail.”
Doug regularly handles complex real estate matters for private equity firms, real estate funds, financial institutions, special servicers, owners and developers. He also represents both landlords and tenants in commercial leasing of downtown and suburban office buildings, retail projects and industrial warehouses. Being in Houston, he routinely assists energy companies, oilfield service companies, midstream companies and others in the energy industry with their real estate transactions.
Doug is known for his ability to get deals done, while looking out for his client’s interests. An efficient and effective attorney, Doug works quickly and breaks things down for his clients.
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA, Real Estate (2016-2019)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2012–2019)
- Texas Monthly, Texas Super Lawyer
- Member, American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Former Member, Governing Council, Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Member, Urban Land Institute
- Chair and Board Member, The Lighthouse of Houston
- Board Member, Houston Lighthouse Foundation, Inc.
- Former Board Member, The Forest Club
- Former Board Member, The Children's Fund, Inc.
Doug received his B.A., summa cum laude, in 1990 from Southern Methodist University, where he achieved the Outstanding Senior Award in the Edwin L. Cox School of Business, the Outstanding Senior Award from the Financial Management Association and the Faculty Scholarship Award in Real Estate and Urban Economics. He obtained his J.D., cum laude, in 1993 from Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, where he was inducted into the Order of the Coif, presided as Vice President of the Student Bar Association, and served as a member of the SMU Law Review.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, “Commercial Leases,” Corporate Counsel Externship Program and Role of the General Counsel, SMU Dedman School of Law
- Presenter, “Contract Drafting,” Lawyering Skills and Strategies Class, University of Houston Law Center
- Speaker, Model Green Lease Seminar Panel, Corporate Realty, Design & Management Institute, September 2009
- Speaker, “Loan Workouts,” South Texas College of Law Annual Real Estate Law Conference, June 2009
- Presenter, “Foreclosure and Workout Issues in a Fluctuating Economy,” University of Houston Law School Advanced Real Estate Law Course and Houston Bar Association, November 2008
- Speaker, “Foreclosure Issues of 2007 – In a Difficult Economy,” University of Houston Law School Advanced Real Estate Law Course, November 2007
- Speaker, “A Practical Guide to Real and Personal Property Foreclosures,” University of Texas School of Law Mortgage Lending Institute, September and October 2007
- Publication, “Negotiating Representations and Warranties in a Commercial Real Estate Transaction,” Advanced Real Estate Drafting Course for the State Bar of Texas, March 2007
- Speaker, “The Nuts and Bolts of Purchasing a Real Estate Note: Issues, Approaches and Forms,” Dallas Area Real Estate Lawyers Discussion Group, March 2007
- Speaker, “Real Estate Finance and Foreclosure Issues,” University of Texas McCombs Graduate School of Business, MBA Finance Academy Speakers Series, March 2004
Accolade 08/15/19Winston & Strawn Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© 2020
Accolade 05/30/19Winston & Strawn Recognized in The Legal 500 U.S. 2019
Accolade 04/25/19Winston & Strawn Recognized in Chambers USA 2019
Accolade 08/15/18101 Winston Lawyers Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
Accolade 05/30/18Winston & Strawn Recognized in The Legal 500 U.S. 2018
Accolade 05/03/18Winston & Strawn Recognized in Chambers USA 2018
Accolade 08/15/1799 Winston Lawyers Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
Accolade 06/26/17 - 06/23/17Winston Recognized in 2017 Edition of Texas’ Best Lawyers
Accolade 05/26/17Winston & Strawn Recognized by Chambers USA 2017
Media Mention 02/07/17Launch of Winston’s Dallas Office Featured in Various Publications
Press Release 02/06/17Winston & Strawn Expands Texas Presence with Addition of 23 Partners and Opening of a Dallas Office