Ricardo Ugarte has nearly 30 years of litigation and international arbitration experience. His practice is focused on high-stakes international commercial arbitration as well as investment treaty arbitration for clients in a wide variety of industries, including oil and gas, power, renewable energy, mining/metals, financial services, telecommunications, pharmaceutical, and transportation.
Ricardo has a global disputes practice and currently divides his time between the firm’s Chicago and London offices. During the course of his practice, Ricardo has represented clients in disputes filed in the United States, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East, and numerous jurisdictions in Europe (including England, France, The Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland).
He has tried high-profile arbitrations, some with stakes well in excess of US$1 billion, and has appeared as counsel in UNCITRAL, ICC, ICSID, AAA-ICDR, and SCC arbitrations. He has represented clients in several areas of law, such as contract and commercial law, fraud, product liability, insurance coverage, and issues of criminal law that arise in civil disputes, as well as international law.
Ricardo is currently counsel of record in numerous investment and commercial arbitrations filed before ICSID, the ICC, and under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules. In light of his investment treaty experience, Ricardo was elected to serve on the ICC’s Task Force on Investor-State Arbitrations.
Honors and Awards
Ricardo is regularly recognized in the field of international arbitration by various publications. He has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© for International Arbitration since 2012, and was honored as “Lawyer of the Year in International Arbitration” by Best Lawyers® 2019. Ricardo is ranked by Who’s Who Legal for Arbitration and was included on the National Law Journal's ADR Champions 2017 list. He is regularly ranked in Chambers as well as The Legal 500 in numerous jurisdictions. Ricardo was listed under “Most Influential Minority Lawyers in Chicago” by Crain's Custom Media in 2017.
In addition, he served as lead counsel in an international arbitration that was recognized as one of the “Biggest Defense Wins, 2011–2013” by The American Lawyer.
Ricardo received a B.A., with general and special honors, from the University of Chicago in 1990 and a J.D. from Northwestern University School of Law in 1993.
- Co-authored “Recent US Federal Court Ruling Permits Discovery in Aid of CIETAC Proceeding,” The Recorder, April 21, 2020
- Co-authored “Arbitration Proceedings In The Age Of Virtual Hearing Rooms,” Law360, April 9, 2020
- Co-authored the Switzerland chapter in Global Arbitration Review Investment Treaty Arbitration Know-How, October 2013, 2014, and 2015
- Co-authored “Pharmaceuticals: A New Frontier in Investment Treaty Arbitration,” Global Arbitration Review, September 6, 2013
- Co-author of “Ensuring Party Equality in the Process of Designating Arbitrators in Multi-Party Arbitration,” Journal of International Arbitration, Vol. 27.1, February 2010
- Speaker, “Drafting Enforceable & Effective International Arbitration Clauses,” Washington University in St. Louis School of Law International Arbitration & Dispute Resolution Symposium, March 2019
- Speaker, “Trends in International Arbitration and the Role of Dubai,” Dubai, May 2018
- Speaker, “Important Trends in International Dispute Resolution,” ICDR Young & International, Chicago, April 2018
- Speaker at National Law University in New Delhi on “Investment Arbitration,” September 2015
- Key Note Speaker at Centre for Alternative Dispute Resolution in New Delhi on “Investment and Commercial Arbitration in India: Prospects and Challenges,” September 2015
- Speaker, Basel Institute, Switzerland, “Investment Treaties: Additional Rights To Protect Against Unjust Foreign Tax Measures in Africa,” June 2015
- Speaker, “CPR Administered Arbitration Rules for International Disputes,” Geneva, Switzerland, March 2015
- Speaker, Belgrade, Serbia, “Investment Treaty Arbitration (Eastern Europe),” May 2014
- Speaker, Geneva Session of Swiss Arbitration Association, “Latin American Perspectives on International Commercial Arbitration,” May 2014
- Guest Lecturer, Graduate Institute, Geneva, Switzerland, “Environmental Law Claims in the Context of Investment Arbitration,” March 2014
- Speaker at the ICC Second Annual Conference on International Arbitration in the Middle East and North Africa, “Arbitrating Oil and Gas disputes in the Middle-East,” March 2014
- Guest Lecturer, Loyola University, “Investment Treaty Arbitration: Jurisdictional Principles,” March 2013
- Speaker regarding denial of benefits, abuse of rights, and forum shopping issues arising under International Investment Treaties at a seminar hosted by the United Nations and the Organization of American States, December 2012
- Chair of panel at ICC’s Annual Miami Conference concerning International Arbitration in Latin America on the topic of arbitration costs, November 2012
- Speaker re “Investor-State Arbitration: Effective Means to Resolve Disputes Between a Foreign Investor and the Host State,” hosted by Practising Law Institute, September 2011
- Speaker re international commercial arbitration and investment treaty arbitration at seminar hosted by the Chamber of Commerce of Lima, Peru, October 2011
- Speaker re “Investor-State arbitrations at invitation of counsel for ICSID,” sponsored by the University of Monterrey, Mexico, April 2011
New Development 06/18/20Winston & Strawn’s 2020 Guide to International Arbitration
Accolade 06/17/20Winston & Strawn Recognized in The Legal 500 U.S. 2020
Accolade 05/19/20Winston Listed in the Top 100 Arbitration Practices by Global Arbitration Review
Article 05/18/20EU Treaty Proposal Constricts Rights Of Energy Investors
Article 04/24/20Recent U.S. Federal Court Ruling Permits Discovery in Aid of CIETAC Proceeding
Article 04/09/20Arbitration Proceedings In The Age Of Virtual Hearing Rooms
Speaking Engagement 02/21/20Winston Sponsors and Speaks at Washington University School of Law’s Annual International Arbitration & Dispute Resolution Symposium
Speaking Engagement 11/14/19Winston & Strawn Hosts International Centre for Dispute Resolution’s Young & International Group Event on International Energy Disputes; Imad Khan Moderates Panel
Accolade 09/27/19Winston & Strawn Recognized in The Legal 500 UK 2020
Accolade 08/15/19Winston & Strawn Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© 2020
New Development 06/17/192019 Pocket Guide to International Arbitration
Accolade 05/30/19Winston & Strawn Recognized in The Legal 500 U.S. 2019
Sponsorship 05/21/19Winston & Strawn and ICC Co-Host The Application of New York Law in Latin American Arbitrations
Accolade 04/25/19Winston & Strawn Recognized in Chambers USA 2019
Briefing 04/24/19PV Solar Investor Claims against Italy: Update regarding recent pro-investor arbitral tribunal award in Greentech
Speaking Engagement 03/01/19Ricardo Ugarte Discusses Arbitration Clauses at International Arbitration & Dispute Resolution Symposium
Media Mention 11/19/18Brian Kotick Joins Winston & Strawn in London
Accolade 10/29/18Winston & Strawn Recognized in The Legal 500 UK 2018