David Sakowitz serves as the co-chair of the firm’s Capital Markets practice and concentrates his practice in securities, international corporate finance transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate matters.
David has extensive experience with advising on the issuance of high-yield debt, equity, and equity-linked securities in SEC-registered, Rule 144A, Regulation S, and private placement transactions. He has been involved in public and private offerings in Latin America, Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and the United States, including initial public offerings, rights offerings, and debt-for-equity exchanges.
David also counsels U.S. and foreign private issuers regarding ongoing compliance with SEC, New York Stock Exchange, and Nasdaq reporting obligations. Additionally, David advises clients regarding public disclosure obligations and corporate governance issues. He has experience in transactions involving special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs), acting for issuers, sponsors and underwriters in SPAC IPOs as well as for acquirers and targets in SPAC business combinations.
David is an adjunct professor at the Cornell University School of Law, where he teaches its course on securities regulation.
Honors and Awards
David is listed as a “Key Lawyer” in The Legal 500 U.S. 2021 for Capital Markets: Equity Offerings.
David is the global co-chair of the Winston Pride LGBTQ affinity group and a member of the firm’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee. He also is a member of the firm’s Hiring Committee, Summer Program Committee, Associate Evaluation Committee and Corporate Opinion Committee.
David received an A.B., magna cum laude, in 1991 from Princeton University, Princeton School of Public and International Affairs, and a J.D. in 1994 from Harvard Law School, where he was a submissions editor of the Harvard International Law Journal and a supervising editor of the Harvard Journal on Legislation.
- Feutune Light Acquisition Corporation Announces Pricing of Initial Public Offering
- Prime Number Acquisition I Corp. Closes Initial Public Offering
- Investcorp India Acquisition Corp Announces Pricing of $225,000,000 Initial Public Offering
- Financials Acquisition Corp. Launches IPO in London
- Vistas Media Acquisition Company Inc. Closes Business Combination with Anghami Inc.
- FTAC Emerald Acquisition Corp. Closes $220 Million IPO
- Battery Future Acquisition Corp. Closes $345 Million Initial Public Offering
- Aries I Acquisition Corporation Announces Business Combination with InfiniteWorld
- Seven Oaks Acquisition Corp. Closes Business Combination with Boxed, Inc.
- Vahanna Tech Edge Acquisition I Corp. Announces Closing of $200.1 Million Initial Public Offering
- 7 Acquisition Corporation Announces Pricing of $200 Million Initial Public Offering
- Project Energy Reimagined Acquisition Corp. Closes $250 Million Initial Public Offering
- Alkuri Global Acquisition Corp. Completes Business Combination with Babylon Holdings Limited
- IX Acquisition Corp. Closes $230 Million Initial Public Offering
- Direct Selling Acquisition Corp. Announces Closing of $230 Million Initial Public Offering
- DTRT Health Acquisition Corp. Closes $230 Million Initial Public Offering
- Williams Rowland Acquisition Corp. Closes IPO
- Portage Fintech Acquisition Corporation Announces Pricing of $240 Million Initial Public Offering
David's publications and speaking engagements include:
- Speaker, “Board Compensation Committees in 2020 and Primer on Special Purpose Acquisition Companies (SPACs),” NACD Program, November 2020
- “The Credit Roundtable’s Proposals to Improve Covenant Protections in the Investment-Grade Bond Market,” Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, February/March 2008 (with James Junewicz).
- “Securities Laws,” Basri & Kagan's Corporate Legal Departments (Practising Law Institute; annual updates).
Accolade 06/21/22David Sakowitz Named to Crain’s New York 2022 List of Notable LGBTQ Leaders
Speaking Engagement 06/16/22The SPAC Conference 2022
Accolade 06/08/22Winston & Strawn Recognized in The Legal 500 U.S. 2022
Press Release 06/02/22Winston & Strawn Highlights Recent Court Victories for LGBTQ+ Rights
Sponsorship 06/02/22Winston & Strawn Sponsors The Deal Economy Conference 2022
Press Release 05/25/22Winston & Strawn Releases 2022 Pro Bono Racial Justice & Equity CEASE Initiative Report
Accolade 05/06/22Winston Partners Recognized on the 2022 Lawdragon 500 Leading Dealmakers in America
Seminar 03/13/22 - 03/15/22Winston Sponsors The 34th Annual Roth Conference
Accolade 01/27/22Winston Earns Perfect Score on Corporate Equality Index for 14 Consecutive Years
Sponsorship 01/24/22 - 01/26/22Winston & Strawn Sponsors 49th Annual Securities Regulation Institute
Webinar 11/30/21SPACs Go Global: Legal Insights and Market Trends
Webinar 10/14/21SPACs: Current Market Trends
Sponsorship 09/21/21Winston Sponsors The 2021 Deal Economy: Predictions and Perspectives Conference
Accolade 06/10/21Winston & Strawn Recognized in The Legal 500 U.S. 2021
New Development 05/18/21Corporate Partner David Sakowitz Appointed Co-Chair of Winston’s Capital Markets Practice
Accolade 05/14/21Winston Partners Recognized on Lawdragon’s 2021 List of 500 Leading Dealmakers in America
Webinar 02/11/21Going Public and Raising Capital in 2021
Briefing 10/12/20Clean Energy SPACs Surging: Time to Plug In an Ideal Target
Blogs & Podcasts
07/05/22SEC Staffing Up for a New Era of Crypto Control
06/08/22Winston & Strawn Hosts Diverse Associate Roundtable for Our 1L LCLD Scholars
04/04/22SEC Proposes Sweeping New Regulations of SPAC Transactions
02/01/22Upcoming Changes to Rule 10b5-1 Trading Plans and Related Company Disclosure Obligations
10/25/212022 SEC Filing Deadline and Financial Statement Staleness Calendars
09/16/21SEC’s Investor Advisory Committee Recommends Enhanced Scrutiny of SPAC Disclosure
12/30/20SEC Approves NYSE Rule Change to Allow Capital Raise with Direct Listings