Jeanifer Parsigian is a partner in the firm’s San Francisco office, where her practice focuses principally on high-stakes antitrust class actions, high-tech competitor disputes, patent and trade secret matters, and sports litigation. She regularly represents major U.S. and multinational corporations in complex commercial litigation and class actions, and in connection with a wide array of federal and state antitrust and competition issues, including monopolization, price-fixing, wage-fixing, merger enforcement, group boycotts, exclusive dealing, tying, price discrimination, unfair competition, and mixed issues of antitrust and intellectual property law relating to Fair, Reasonable, and Non-Discriminatory (FRAND) obligations, standard-setting, patent licensing, and patent misuse. She also has experience in alternative dispute resolution, including commercial arbitration and mediation. Jeanifer represents clients across multiple industries, including consumer electronics, finance, technology, food and beverage, sports and entertainment, and retail.
She has been recognized for obtaining critical wins for her clients whether at trial or by obtaining complete dismissals. Recently, she successfully defended PetIQ in a private merger challenge, where she argued an appeal to the Ninth Circuit and successfully secured a dismissal of the complaint. Jeanifer also has a major role in Winston’s renowned sports practice, successfully trying antitrust claims to a landmark win for college athletes against the NCAA, and in a high stakes, high-profile gender discrimination lawsuit on behalf of the Women’s National Soccer Team in their pursuit of equal pay.
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Antitrust Law and Litigation-Antitrust, 2021-2022
- Super Lawyers Rising Star (2020, 2021)
- 2019 AAI Antitrust Award for Private Litigation for the work on the NCAA case
- Winston & Strawn was named “Law Firm of the Year” in 2020 for its Antitrust/Competition practice by News & World Report – Best Law Firms®
- Winston & Strawn was named 2020 “Antitrust Firm of the Year” and 2018 “Antitrust Firm of the Year” by Benchmark Litigation
- Winston & Strawn’s Antitrust/Competition Practice was awarded “Litigation of the Year – Cartel Defense” by Global Competition Review, 2019
- Winston & Strawn’s Antitrust/Competition Practice was recognized as a Tier 1 National “Best Law Firm” by News – Best Lawyers® in 2019
Jeanifer currently serves as a California Young Lawyers Association Liaison to the Antitrust, UCL & Privacy Section of the California Bar.
Jeanifer received her B.A. from the University of Michigan in 2006. She received her J.D. from Harvard Law School in 2012.
Significant Federal Litigation Matters
- In re National Collegiate Athletic Association Athletic Grand-In-Aid Cap Antitrust Litigation/Jenkins v. National Collegiate Athletic Association: Represents classes of college athletes in antitrust in antitrust trial striking down anticompetitive NCAA rules.
- Represents class of Women’s National Team soccer players in gender discrimination litigation against the U.S. Soccer Federation.
- Represented defendant Discover Financial Services in a putative class action alleging violation of federal and state antitrust laws in connection with chip card technology.
- Representation of PetIQ, a leading company in the pet medicine industry, in a private antitrust merger suit, and successfully obtained full dismissal with prejudice and affirmance at the 9th Circuit.
- Represented MegaFon, a major telecom operator in the Russian federation, in fraud claims relating to failure of key systems upgrade.
- Represents wireless connectivity patent portfolio company defending against high-profile monopolization, conspiracy, unfair competition, and breach of contract claims relating to purported FRAND obligations and joint licensing conduct.
- Represented Discover Financial Services in Supreme Court appeal with major industry implications.
- Representation of a major electronics manufacturer in the multidistrict, putative class action, optical disk drive products antitrust litigation.
- Representation of a major electronics manufacturer in multidistrict class action alleging conspiracy to fix prices of lithium ion batteries.
- Represented S.C. Johnson from consumer protection claims regarding baby wipes labelling.
- Representation of TreeHouse Foods, Inc., Bay Valley Foods, LLC, and Sturm Foods, Inc. in their antitrust lawsuit against Keurig Green Mountain, Inc. alleging anticompetitive exclusive dealing, conspiracy, monopolization, unfair competition, tying, anticompetitive product redesign, patent misuse, and sham litigation claims.
- Represented a multinational corporation in one of the largest “food court” consumer class actions.
- Representation of a pet food company in a false advertising class action suit.
- Represented a nationwide retailer in a class action under California employment law.
Other Relevant Matters
- Represented a former pharmaceutical executive in an investigation of alleged violations of Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act.
- Represented defendant in an arbitration matter alleging breach of contract and antitrust monopolization claims based on alleged abuse of intellectual property rights.
- Represented plaintiff SunLink Corporation in a contract dispute over solar construction development.
- Represented defendant Kenwood Investments No. 2, LLC in California court in a motion to compel arbitration in complex contract dispute over development of tribal gaming casino.
- Equal Rights Amendment: Involved in the firm’s efforts to assist and support the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment.
- 1983 Civil Rights litigation: represented California inmate in civil rights claim against Richmond Police Department for assault during arrest; conducted depositions of six police officers involved and leveraged effective discovery to five-figure settlement for client.
- Board of Immigration Appeals matter: represented Cameroonian immigrant in a successful appeal of an order denying withholding of removal based on threat of persecution based on sexual orientation.
- Speaker, ABA Antitrust Section "Alston in the Supreme Court" (December 4, 2020)
- Speaker, Berkeley Law Symposium on Employment Law & Sports (March 6, 2020)
- Speaker, “Equal Pay, Equal Play and the Equal Rights Amendment,” National Association of Women Lawyers (November 7, 2019)
- Speaker, Berkley Law Sports & Entertainment Law Conference (April 5, 2019)
Webinar 09/22/21Hipsters vs. Boomers: The Antitrust Revolution is Here
Speaking Engagement 09/14/21Alston v. NCAA: A Reckoning for the Big Business of College Sports
Accolade 08/19/21Winston & Strawn Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America 2022
Accolade 07/01/21Winston Women Recognized in the 2021 Women in the Law edition of Best Lawyers
Accolade 06/25/21Jeffrey Kessler Named The American Lawyer’s Litigator of the Week
Media Mention 06/21/21Winston & Strawn Trial Team Secures U.S. Supreme Court Victory for College Athletes in NCAA Scholarship Antitrust Class-Action Lawsuit
Accolade 03/24/21Law360 Names Winston Attorneys to 2021 Editorial Advisory Boards
Press Release 12/16/20Winston & Strawn Names 13 New U.S. Partners
Speaking Engagement 11/06/20Jeanifer Parsigian Speaks at 2020 Berkeley Law Sports & Entertainment Conference
Accolade 08/20/20Winston & Strawn Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2021
New Development 07/01/20Ninth Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Antitrust Complaint Against PetIQ
Accolade 02/28/20Winston & Strawn Named Benchmark Litigation’s 2020 Antitrust Firm of the Year
Accolade 01/17/20Winston & Strawn Named Trials Group of the Year by Law360
New Development 04/22/19District Court Dismisses Antitrust Complaint Against PetIQ
New Development 03/08/19Federal Court Finds the NCAA in Violation of the Antitrust Laws
New Development 08/03/18Antitrust Challenge to PetIQ Acquisition Has Bark But No Bite
New Development 03/28/18Winston Scores Touchdown in Landmark Case on Behalf of College Football and Basketball Players
New Development 04/15/15 - 04/15/15Winston Obtains Dismissal of Policy Fees Suit for Life Insurance Company