Stephen is a partner in the firm’s Los Angeles office. He focuses his practice on technology and intellectual property transactions, including intellectual property licensing, technology development and transfers of ownership, and commercialization of content and media. He is particularly experienced in handling matters related to software, Internet, and information technology that have evolved rapidly and considerably over the last 20 years, such as open-source licensing, e-commerce transactions and commercialization, and use of content over the Internet. He is a member of the firm's Videogame, Gaming and Esports Group dedicated to providing comprehensive legal solutions to companies in these industries. He spent most of his career practicing in Silicon Valley when such issues were in their infancy and continues to advise on such transactions.
Stephen also has considerable experience managing the intellectual property aspects of mergers and acquisitions deals such as coordinating intellectual property, data privacy and data security diligence, drafting of the related provisions and documents for such transactions, and advising on the risk management and resolution of problematic scenarios that often face a buyer or seller of technology assets. His clients include private equity firms and companies in a variety of industries including software, e-commerce, consumer electronics, retail, and apparel.
Prior to going into private practice, Stephen served as senior corporate counsel for Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (Sony PlayStation). While at Sony, Stephen represented the U.S. R&D and strategic business development groups for the Sony entity responsible for PlayStation matters in North and Latin America. He has done several secondments as an in-house counsel, including working at a major mobile gaming company and as general counsel of an augmented reality hardware software developer company. Prior to law school, he worked in software development for the U.S. Marine Corps.
Stephen is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Stephen received his B.A. from the University of California, San Diego in 1992. He received his J.D. from Emory University School of Law in 1995.
- TradeZero Announces Business Combination With Dune Acquisition Corporation
- Ranger Energy Services, Inc. Acquisition of Basic Energy Services, Inc
- Winston represents Frontenac Company in the sale of Whitebridge Pet Brands to NXMH, a Belgium-based family-owned investment firm
- Delicato Family Wines Announced Partnership with Francis Ford Coppola Winery
- Black Box Intelligence's Acquisition of MillerPulse, LLC
- Author, “Suggested Revisions to the Intellectual Property Representations in the NVCA Model Stock Purchase Agreement Form,” ABA Preferred Returns, September 2020.
- Moderator, “Pooling in a Pandemic: The Value and Prospects of the Open COVID Pledge,” Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association, October 28, 2020.
- Speaker, “IP Licensing for Startups,” SBDC@UCI Beall Applied Innovation Incubator, October 21, 2020.
Blogs & Podcasts
10/18/21How NFTs Will Impact Ownership of Virtual Items in Videogames
09/14/21A Conversation with Tony Justman, VP, Deputy General Counsel of Sony Interactive Entertainment | Part 3
09/08/21A Conversation with Tony Justman, VP, Deputy General Counsel of Sony Interactive Entertainment | Part 2
08/30/21A Conversation with Tony Justman, VP, Deputy General Counsel of Sony Interactive Entertainment