Robine Morrison Grant is a litigation partner in the firm's Houston office. She has experience defending and litigating complex cases in federal and state courts and arbitration from discovery through summary judgment, trial, and appeal. Her practice has involved a broad range of complex commercial litigation matters, including high stakes contract disputes, defamation, tortious interference, product liability, Title VI, Lanham Act, unfair competition, trade secret, False Claims Act, noncompete, antitrust, and securities fraud claims. Robine represents clients in matters involving a wide range of complex technologies and issues—with an emphasis on energy (oil & gas and renewable energy), pharmaceuticals and medical devices, and food and agriculture processes. Robine's representation spans a variety of market sectors, including energy (oil & gas and renewable energy); banking and securities; pharmaceuticals and medical devices; food, beverage and agriculture; defense; and recycling industries.
Robine is experienced in all phases of litigation and trial, including case assessment and strategy development; drafting winning evidentiary and dispositive motions; successfully arguing critical motions, including motions to dismiss and oppositions to summary judgment; managing all aspects of discovery; taking and defending almost sixty depositions; negotiating mediations and settlements; successfully arguing motions in limine and Daubert motions; handling all aspects of trial preparation and trial, including witness preparation, pre-trial submissions, trial, conducting nine examinations (including direct, adverse direct, and cross examinations), and post-trial briefing; and handling appeals in state and federal courts and arbitration.
Honors and Awards
Robine was named to Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2021.
In 2015, Winston & Strawn was named the "Chicago Litigation Department of the Year" for general litigation by The National Law Journal.
In 2015, Winston & Strawn was named "Food & Beverage Group of the Year" by Law360.
Having started her career in the firm's Chicago office, Robine has been involved in both the Houston and Chicago communities. She is currently Secretary and Board Member for the Texas Medical Center Orchestra in Houston and volunteers with Horizons for Youth, an organization that provides scholarship, mentoring and tutoring to children from low-resource areas of Chicago. Robine also supports Girls on the Run Greater Houston and served on the planning committee for its 2019 Sneaker Soiree fundraising gala. Prior to moving to Houston, Robine also served on the Young Professionals Board for Horizons for Youth. Robine served on the planning committee for the 7th Circuit Bar Association's 2014 Annual Meeting.
Pro Bono & Public Interest Work
Following graduation from law school, Robine served as a public interest fellow with Tahirih Justice Center where she assisted immigrant women and children fleeing violence.
Robine frequently represents, counsels, and advises pro bono clients with a wide variety of legal issues, including:
- Secured the award of child custody following an eight-day bench trial, participating in two trials on the client's behalf and negotiating and resolving multiple custody and child support issues on behalf of the client over a period of five years.
- Successfully obtained asylum for an immigrant from Zimbabwe and Eritrea.
- Successfully obtained administrative relief for a disabled client seeking home services.
- Represented multiple clients in habeas appeals before the Seventh Circuit.
Robine is admitted to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, the Northern District of Illinois, the Central District of Illinois, the Southern District of Illinois, the Northern District of Texas, and the Southern District of Texas.
Robine received a J.D., magna cum laude, in 2011 from the University of Illinois, where she was the elected to the Order of the Coif, a member of Phi Kappa Phi, and an articles editor for the University of Illinois Law Review. She received a B.A. in Plan II Honors, cum laude, and a minor in Business Foundations, with Distinction, from the University of Texas at Austin in 2007.
- In a case touted as the "largest" and "one of the most significant" defamation cases in U.S. history and seeking more than $1.9 billion in actual damages from ABC for the publication of more than 200 alleged false statements about the client's product during a month-long period in 2012, Robine served as an integral member of the litigation team from 2012, prior to filing the complaint, through 2017, when the team secured a favorable settlement in the middle of an eight-week jury trial. During this time, the litigation team conducted over 100 fact depositions across the country, over 30 expert depositions, and briefed close to 100 motions. The team won every significant motion—a motion to keep the case in state court, multiple motions to dismiss, two appeals to the South Dakota Supreme Court, and multiple motions for summary judgment. The representation was also referenced by Law360 in naming Winston & Strawn Food & Beverage Group of the Year in 2015.
- After four years of litigation, Robine served as an integral member of the small litigation team which obtained a jury verdict of more than $93 million in favor of AbbVie, Inc. in a contract dispute over a pricing agreement relating to pharmaceuticals for infants, a verdict that at the time was the largest commercial verdict awarded in the venue.
- In a putative securities fraud class action in the Northern District of California. Robine defended Cisco Systems, Inc. against a sprawling 123-page complaint attacking nearly every aspect of Cisco's business and alleging the defendants made more than 100 false statements. The court dismissed the complaint notwithstanding its breadth after adopting nearly all of our arguments. Plaintiffs subsequently agreed to voluntarily dismiss with prejudice.
- Successfully secured a critical injunction in a complex contract dispute for a renewable energy provider.
- Represented a communications provider focusing in the oil & gas sector in an arbitration and litigation involving the violation of various restrictive covenants by the Company's former CEO.
- Assisted in defending Verizon Wireless in in re Messaging Antitrust Litigation, which consolidated more than 35 putative class actions filed in federal courts throughout the country in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Successfully secured dismissals of products liability and negligence litigation against Medtronic, Inc.
- Successfully secured settlement in significant False Claims Act litigation against a physician practice.
- Successfully defended national bank against claims under the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA), state Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act (UDTPA), and for Breach of Contract, Fraud, and Negligence.
Robine is an editor of the Thomson Reuters Employee Noncompetition Law treatise, which is an annual publication that covers statutory and common-law rules, major issues, and practical considerations of employee restrictive agreements, including those related to intellectual property.
Robine assisted in authoring the Interplay Between Civil and Criminal Proceedings in Successful Partnering Between Inside and Outside Counsel, a treatise by Thomson Reuters and the Association of Corporate Counsel containing a discussion of issues facing inside and outside counsel when working together and providing practical ideas to prevent or resolve problems.
Robine presented at Ready to Rise, a one-day academy in law and leadership for middle school girls, in Houston during Summer 2018.
Robine moderated a panel of federal judges for new attorneys at the 7th Circuit Bar Association Annual Meeting in 2014.
- “SMART Communications: Moving Forward when Stuck at Home,” American Bar Association, August 14, 2020
Accolade 08/20/20Winston & Strawn Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2021
Article 08/14/20SMART Communications: Moving Forward when Stuck at Home
New Development 01/22/20Winston & Strawn Announces Newly Elected U.S. Partners Spanning Six Practice Groups
Accolade 02/28/19Winston & Strawn Recognized at Benchmark Litigation 2019 U.S. Awards
Accolade 02/08/18Winston & Strawn Named Trial Group of the Year by Law360
Newsletter 10/06/17Pro Bono Reporter – Fall 2017
New Development 06/28/17Historic Win Delivered for BPI by Winston
Accolade 01/21/16Winston & Strawn Named Food & Beverage Group of the Year by Law360
New Development 04/30/13Winston & Strawn Defeats Securities Class Action Filed Against Cisco
Media Mention 12/24/12Winston & Strawn Attorneys Featured in Chicago Daily Law Bulletin Regarding Mentoring Program