Ross Corbett represents clients in complex litigation and investigative matters, including class action defense, professional liability, and suits to enforce his clients’ rights. His clients are primarily in the financial, consumer products, and professional services sectors.
Ross has extensive experience addressing claims of consumer fraud, whether cast as a violation of state consumer protection statutes, breach of contract, unjust enrichment, or common-law torts. His matters frequently involve issues of federal preemption, including FDA regulation of health-related claims on food labels and dietary supplements and federal regulation of consumer bank fees. Clients also consult him while conducting M&A due diligence for his expertise in consumer advertising litigation.
Ross has represented clients in state and federal courts around the country at both the trial and appellate court level. He has advised individuals subject to criminal investigation by federal authorities. He also has experience addressing matters with the Chicago Board of Ethics and the Chicago Office of Inspector General.
Ross joined Winston’s litigation team after clerking for Hon. Milton Shadur in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Honors and Awards
Ross was recognized by Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America in the area of Commercial Litigation (2021-2023).
Ross received a B.A., cum laude, in Government and Politics in 1999 from the University of Maryland – College Park, a Ph.D. in Political Science in 2005 from the University of Toronto, and a J.D., magna cum laude, in 2015 from Northwestern University School of Law. While in law school, he was executive articles editor of the Journal of International Human Rights and served as an extern at the Illinois Office of the Attorney General in the Civil Prosecutions & Administrative Review Unit.
Ross represents clients in a range of industries. Some of his work in civil litigation has included:
- defending an international financial institution in several putative nationwide consumer fraud class actions concerning various account fees, including garnishment fees and overdraft fees
- representing a major dietary supplement manufacturer in several putative nationwide consumer fraud class actions concerning its products’ contents and labeling
- obtaining dismissal of a consumer fraud claim against a major retailer threatened with a potential nationwide class action over how much “true” aloe was in its products
- defending a hospital in a putative consumer fraud class action concerning its Medicare billing practices
- assisting a major technology firm in investigating and combatting an international criminal fraud targeting its customers
- bringing a constitutional and administrative law challenge on behalf of licensees in the electronic gambling industry
- representing a financial consulting firm in various lawsuits arising from its M&A services
- seeking indemnification for breach of representations and warranties following a business acquisition on behalf of a pet supply company
- defending a professional services firm from allegations of secondary liability under state “blue sky” securities laws in related federal and state cases
- representing an auditing firm against claims of malpractice and fraud in connection with its audit opinions
Ross’s pro bono activities include obtaining asylum for detained refugees, representing Illinois prisoners held in extreme isolation, representing a Chicago legal aid service from which a litigant sought discovery, and managing an internal investigation on behalf of a Chicago non-profit.
- Ross J. Corbett & James E. Pfander, An Empirical Assessment of Bivens Claims, in Constitutional Torts and the War on Terror, by James E. Pfander (2017)
- Recusant Witnesses and the McCarthyite Congressional Investigations, 5 Brit. J. Am. Legal Stud. 123 (2016)
- Kiobel, Bauman, and the Presumption Against the Extraterritorial Application of the Alien Tort Statute, 13 Nw. J. Int’l Human Rts. 50 (2015)
Accolade 08/18/22Winston & Strawn Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America 2023
Accolade 08/19/21Winston & Strawn Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America 2022
Briefing 06/30/21Supreme Court Holds That the Violation of a Statutory Right Is Insufficient to Establish Article III Standing in a Damages Action
Media Mention 06/23/21Fed. Judge Certifies Class in Solitary Confinement Suit Against IDOC
Pro Bono In Action 06/16/21Federal Court Certifies Class in Lawsuit Challenging Excessive Solitary Confinement in Illinois Prisons
Accolade 08/20/20Winston & Strawn Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2021
Briefing 06/30/20Supreme Court Strikes Restrictions on Removing CFPB Director, but Allows Agency to Continue Operating
Briefing 06/21/18Supreme Court Rules States May Require Some Out-of-State Businesses to Collect Sales Tax
Pro Bono In Action 10/06/17Pro Bono Reporter – Fall 2017