Winston & Strawn has one of the premier sports law practices in the world, recognized by U.S. News–Best Lawyers® as “Law Firm of the Year” for sports law in the 2018 and 2013 editions of “Best Law Firms.” Our sports law attorneys have an exceptional depth of knowledge in the sports industry, with a comprehensive practice that offers a wide range of services throughout the country and abroad.
Our sports law lawyers represent all of the leading player associations in the United States, professional athletes, player classes in antitrust and other litigation, sports ownership groups, sports event organizers, intellectual property licensees and licensors, media companies, sports agents, lenders and underwriters of team and sports facility debt, governmental entities, coaches, competing sports leagues, sponsors, and others involved in disputes and transactions in the sports industry. Our experience spans the full spectrum of sports industry legal matters:
- Litigation, arbitrations, and collective bargaining cases.
- Sports-related financial transactions, including stadium financings, franchise acquisitions, and other corporate matters.
- Marketing, promotions, privacy, sponsorship, domain name, social media, and other intellectual property matters.
- Sports sponsorships, including venue partnerships, event contracts, broadcast programming, and arena naming rights.
- Brand protection for professional athlete clients in all of their personal, professional, and charitable endeavors, including endorsement, domain name, social media, trademark, corporate, trust and estates, tax, charitable foundation, and litigation matters.
Our sports litigation practice includes comprehensive legal services for clients involved in all aspects of college and amateur athletics as well. Our attorneys have represented colleges, universities, student-athletes, coaches, and other individuals and entities involved in disputes with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), including NCAA enforcement investigations and cases before the NCAA Committee on Infractions. Our attorneys have litigated cases against the top sports associations in the world, including the NCAA, and bring to the college sphere decades of experience helping clients assert their rights in matters that have transformed the sports business.