Winston & Strawn partner Robb Adkins spoke at the ABA Annual Meeting held August 4, 2012, in Chicago. Winston & Strawn was a sponsor of this event.
In a program titled “Parallel Enforcement: Practical Implications of Increasing Coordination of Federal and State Efforts,” Mr. Adkins, along with other litigators and leaders in government enforcement, discussed the increasingly interconnected efforts of federal prosecutors and regulators, shared his experience and tips, and explained priorities of an enforcement environment. Specific topics discussed included:
- Recent collective efforts such as the Financial Fraud Enforcement Task Force;
- Expanded government and qui tam activity under the False Claims Act;
- Multi-agency health care fraud enforcement such as the expanding Health Care Fraud Prevention and Enforcement Action Teams (“HEAT”) and the Medicare Fraud Strike Force;
- Increased connectivity between the Department of Justice and inspectors and regulators such as the Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission; and
- The role of state attorneys general, the Federal Trade Commission, and U.S. Bankruptcy Trustees to combat a wide array of conduct from mortgage fraud to unfair business practices.
Robb Adkins is a nationally recognized trial attorney with deep experience in complex white collar matters involving the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and across the federal and state enforcement agencies.
Contact Winston & Strawn for more information about this event.