Winston & Strawn tax partner Mitch Moetell spoke at the Institute of International Bankers Seminar on U.S. Taxation of International Banks on June 21, 2010 in New York City. This program was designed to bring together government officials and private-sector experts to provide a detailed and authoritative review of the key developments affecting internationally headquartered banking and financial institutions operating in the United States.
Mr. Moetell spoke on the panel "Legislative and Regulatory Developments," where he discussed some of the relevant developments that have recently surfaced due to the enormous amount of legislative and regulatory activity in the area of banking, including those that are not generally tax-related but can have a significant impact on the bottom line. Joining him on the panel were Kenneth W. Busey of Washington National Tax Services PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, Derek Bush of Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP and Thomas Stout, Jr. of KPMG LLP. Eric Atkerson of Tax Research and Planning TD Securities (USA) LLC moderated the discussion.
Other topics included in the program were:
- FATCA Provisions and Compliance with FBAR Requirements
- Information Reporting, Withholding, Documentation Issues
- International Bank Issues
- FIN 48: the IRS Version
- New York State and City Issues and Audit Controversy
- International Banking Issues Arising in the Aftermath of the Financial Crisis
- State & Local Issues and Controversies
Winston & Strawn is a member of the Institute of International Bankers.