Averil Edwards is an associate in the Chicago office who focuses her practice on a wide variety of environmental matters.
Ms. Edwards has compliance counseling, transactional, and litigation experience in environmental matters. Specifically, she has experience in responding to discovery requests, and has drafted pre-trial and trial motions and appellate briefs. Ms. Edwards has counseled clients on compliance with environmental statutes including the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, RCRA, CERCLA, and TSCA, and various state environmental laws. On the transactional side, Ms. Edwards advises a broad range of participants on environmental considerations in corporate and renewable energy transactions. Ms. Edwards also regularly contributes to the firm’s environmental blog, Winston & the Legal Environment.
Ms. Edwards is a member of the American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources, the Chicago Bar Association, and the Black Women Lawyers Association of Greater Chicago. Her pro bono matters include political asylum, school expulsion proceedings, and serving as a guardian ad litem in a contested guardianship case.
Ms. Edwards received a B.A. in English, summa cum laude, from Oakwood College in 2002 and a J.D. from the University of Chicago Law School in 2005.
Speeches and Publications
- Presenter, “Careers on the Horizon: Energy and Environmental Law,” National Black Law Students Association Annual Convention, Atlanta, Ga., March 9, 2013
- Presenter, “Analysis of the Impact on the Electric Utility Industry of EPA's Proposed Greenhouse Gas Limits on New Power Plants,” Winston & Strawn LLP eLunch, April 26, 2012
- Presenter, “Hydraulic Fracturing – Regulatory Developments & Case Studies,” Chicago Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee, February 7, 2012 (with ENVIRON)
- Presenter, “Update on EPA’s Section 316(b) Rule,” Energy, Utility & Environment Conference (EUEC), Phoenix, Ariz., February 1, 2012
- Presenter, “Hydraulic Fracturing: Regulatory Developments and Litigation Trends,” Winston & Strawn LLP eLunch, November 2011
- Co-Author, “Recent Developments in Natural Resource Damages Claims,” Trends, Vol. 42, No. 6, American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources, July/August 2011
- Co-Author, “Environmental Disclosure Requirements: Accounting, SEC, and Sarbanes-Oxley Act Considerations Associated with Environmental Liability,” Environmental Law in Illinois Corporate and Real Estate Transactions, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2011 chapter supplement)
- Co-Author, Environmental Law Chapter of Annual Review of Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation, 2011 Edition, American Bar Association
- Co-Author, “Decisions Citing Burlington Northern for Arranger Liability and/or Apportionment Analysis January 1 Through September 30, 2010,” Superfund and Natural Resource Damages Litigation Committee Newsletter, Vol. 6, No. 1, Nov., 2010, American Bar Association
- Presenter, “Recent Developments in Climate Change and Greenhouse Gas Regulation,” Presentation to Fortune 200 Corporation, November 2009
- Co-Author, “Environmental Disclosure Requirements: Accounting, SEC, and Sarbanes-Oxley Act Considerations Associated with Environmental Liability,” 2007 Edition of Environmental Law in Illinois Corporate and Real Estate Transactions, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education