Lawrence Drucker is a partner in Winston & Strawn’s intellectual property group in New York. Mr. Drucker focuses his practice on patent, trademark, and copyright litigation. He has participated in numerous jury trials, bench trials, and appeals in federal courts throughout the country and in New York state courts. He also has experience defending clients under investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice and by numerous state attorneys general.
Mr. Drucker has experience litigating cases involving a wide range of fields, including electrical, mechanical, and software patents. The technologies in these cases range from consumer electronics such as universal remote controls and laser rangefinders, to audience measurement systems, radio frequency identification systems, audio and video watermarking, automated storage and retrieval systems, computer software, website design, digital signal processing, optical systems, amusement park rides, flooring materials, ink formulations, and in-line roller skates.
Mr. Drucker’s representative matters include:
- Obtaining a jury verdict of non-infringement on behalf of a leading manufacturer of robotic pharmacy automation systems that had been accused of infringing two patents by the nation’s largest hospital supplier in the District of Delaware.
- Successfully defending a manufacturer of radio frequency identification products, obtaining a judgment that the plaintiff’s patent was unenforceable due to inequitable conduct, the first such finding in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Obtaining a judgment of non-infringement of a patent covering the most widely used method for programming universal remote controls in an action against one of the world’s largest electronics manufacturers.
- Successfully defending one of the nation’s largest audience measurement companies against a claim of patent infringement concerning its new electronic audience measurement system, invalidating the opponent’s patent in the Southern District of New York.
- Successfully defending the nation’s largest chain of amusement parks against claims of patent infringement over the design of a state-of-the-art roller coaster in the Northern District of New York.
- Obtaining a multimillion-dollar jury verdict on behalf of a television and movie producer against a nationally known children’s book publisher.
- Successfully bringing an action on behalf of a prominent non-profit organization in an action for misappropriation of its trademarks and trade secrets by a rival startup organization.
- Obtaining a verdict at trial in the Middle District of Florida securing for his client the ownership rights to patented software and processes that protect highly secure documents, such as currency and passports, from counterfeiting.
- Defeating a preliminary injunction sought by one of the nation’s largest cell phone providers in a trademark and unfair competition case.
In addition to his intellectual property litigation experience, Mr. Drucker drafts and negotiates license agreements, joint venture agreements, and non-disclosure agreements, as well as other business contracts. Mr. Drucker also has extensive experience litigating complex disputes involving breach of contract, fraud, antitrust, securities, and entertainment litigation. He has represented numerous clients in mediations, arbitrations, and other alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
Mr. Drucker is a member of the Intellectual Property Section of the American Bar Association, New York State Bar Association, AIPLA, and Association of the Bar of the City of New York.
Mr. Drucker received his B.A. in Economics and Political Science, summa cum laude, from Queens College of the City University of New York in 1985, and his J.D. from Columbia Law School in 1988, where he was a member of the Columbia/VLA Journal of Law and the Arts.