Emily A. Peterson is an associate in the firm’s Chicago office whose practice focuses on the management and investment of employee benefit plan assets.
Ms. Peterson has extensive experience counseling defined benefit and defined contribution plans on maintaining compliance with each plan’s unique fiduciary requirements, protecting employees and trustees involved in fiduciary activities from fiduciary liability, and advising how best to manage and invest plan assets. Her work in this area includes negotiating plan sponsor investment management agreements and direct investments in private investment funds, interpreting federal and state laws and rules governing or affecting plan sponsors, investment advisers, and investments, as well as designing and drafting plan documentation.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Peterson was General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer for the Illinois State Board of Investment, a board investing the combined pension assets, totaling approximately $10 billion, of the General Assembly Retirement System of Illinois, the Judges’ Retirement System of Illinois, and the State Employees’ Retirement System of Illinois.
In 2013 and 2012, SuperLawyers awarded Ms. Peterson with the “Illinois Rising Star” designation in the Employee Benefits/ERISA practice area. In 2010, Institutional Investor News awarded Ms. Peterson with the “Rising Star of Public Fund” distinction.
Honors and Awards
Ms. Peterson is co-chair of the planning subcommittee for the ABA Institutional Investor Committee, Business Law Section. She is also a board member of Chicago Youth Centers Metropolitan.
Ms. Peterson received a B.A., magna cum laude, in 2000 from Eastern Illinois University and a J.D. and Certificate in Labor and Employment Law in 2004 from Chicago-Kent College of Law.
Speeches and Publications
- Co-author, “The DOL’s Disclosure Regime – What’s Next?” Employee Benefit Plan Review, October 2012.
- Co-author, “How to Tell a Designated Investment Alternative from a Brokerage Window and other Highlights from DOL Field Assistance Bulletin No. 2012-02R,” Employee Benefit Plan Review, September, 2012.
- Co-author, “Covered Service Provider Disclosure Requirements Under Section 408(b)(2) of ERISA,” Employee Benefit Plan Review, June 2012.
- “Transition Management: Taming the Beast,” Panelist for a webinar hosted jointly by Northern Trust and Investment Governance, Inc., June 2010.
- Illinois PERS Summit, Co-Chair, Advisory Board Member and Speaker, June 2010.
- “Best Practices for Investment Management,” Pension De-risking Summit, May 2010.
- “Transition Management,” Panelist, ABA Business Law Annual Meeting, April 2010.
- Illinois PERS Summit, Co-Chair, Advisory Board Member and Speaker, June 2009.
- Hedge Fund Activism & Shareholder Value Summit, Advisory Board Member, October 2008.
- “Challenges in Fund Management,” Moderator, Illinois Public Finance Conference, June 2008.
- “Strategies in Securities Litigation,” Moderator, Hedge Fund Activism & Shareholder Value Summit, October 2007.
- “Public Fund Roundtable,” Panelist at National Association of Securities Professionals Conference, August 2007.