Jay Holloway is a partner in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. He focuses his practice on environmental and administrative law. He advises utilities, electric cooperatives, and industrial clients on the Clean Air Act, federal environmental laws and regulations, and state air pollution laws. This work includes counseling clients on compliance, permitting, and enforcement matters across the United States.
He advises clients on day-to-day new EPA rules, Title V of the Clean Air Act, and other permitting and enforcement matters, including the negotiation and appeal of permits for new coal and gas generation.
Mr. Holloway’s experience includes serving in a lead role in more than a dozen EPA New Source Review enforcement actions and providing advice in a number of others. He has successfully negotiated settlements in numerous federal and state NSR and acid rain enforcement actions. He also assists clients in compliance with EPA consent decrees and environmental compliance audits.
Mr. Holloway serves as national environmental counsel to a number of generating and transmission electric cooperatives.
Representative matters include:
- United States v. East Kentucky Power Coop., 498 F. Supp. 2d 976 (2007)
- United States v. East Kentucky Power Coop., 498 F. Supp. 2d 995 (2007)
Mr. Holloway has been recognized by Super Lawyers (2006) and as one of Richmond’s Top 40 Under 40 in 2002.
Honors and Awards
Mr. Holloway has represented domestic violence victims in the Richmond and Charlottesville areas on a pro bono basis. He served as a member of the Attorney General’s Advisory Council on Domestic Violence and as a member of the board of directors for the Henrico County Coalition Against Domestic Violence. Mr. Holloway is active with the Virginia State Bar having served on the Board of Governors and Chair of the Administrative Law Section. He is also a member of the Air and Waste Management Association, a past member of the State Advisory Board on Air Pollution, and a past member of the Virginia Administrative Law Advisory Committee.
Mr. Holloway received a B.A. in History in 1988 and a M.A. in Public Administration in 1989 from the University of Virginia. He received a J.D., cum laude, in 1995 from the University of Richmond School of Law.
Speeches and Publications
- Speaker, “Report from the Scene of the Train Wreck: Update on the Impact of New EPA Rules & Actions on Electric Utility Generation,” 16th Annual Energy, Utility, and Environment Conference (EUEC), Phoenix, AZ, January 2013.
- Speaker, “Cleaning up the Train Wreck: Air Water and Waste Rules Driving the Shutdown of Coal Units,”Power Plant Decommissioning, Decontamination and Demolition (DDD) with Environmental Resources Management (ERM), Webinar, September 2012.
- Speaker, “Clearing the Air on Air Emissions Regulations: A Panel Discussion” Electric Power 2012, May 2012.
- Speaker, “News from the Front Lines: How the Battle against EPA’s New Regulations is going?”Burns & McDonnell Coal Symposium, May 2012.
- Speaker, “EPA’s Greenhouse Gas Limits on New Power Plants” Winston & Strawn eLunch, April 2012.
- Speaker, “CSAPR and New CAA Regulations,” Winston & Strawn and ERM Seminar Houston, February 2012.
- Speaker, “Is that the Light at the End of the Tunnel or the Train: GHG Tailoring Rule, CSAPR, EGU MACT/MATS Rule, New NAAQS, 316(b), CWA Rules, and CCR Rules,” EUEC Energy & Environment 2012 Conference, January 2012.
- Speaker, “The Future of Electric Generating Units Under EPA’s New NSR Rules, CSAPR, and New CAA Regulations,” Winston & Strawn and ERM Seminar, December 2011.
- Speaker, “Is that the Light at the End of the Tunnel or the Train: GHG Tailoring Rule, CSAPR, EGU MACT/MATS Rule, New NAAQS, 316(b), CWA Rules, and CCR Rules,” ABA-Edison Electric Institute conference, May 2011.
- Speaker, “The EPA and the Future of Greenhouse Gas Regulation,” Winston & Strawn eLunch, February 2011.
- Speaker, “The EPA and the Future of Greenhouse Gas Regulation,” Thomson Reuters webcast, February 2011.
- Speaker, “Renewing Your Title V Permit? Are You Ready for a Petition to EPA to Object?” the 14th Annual Energy, Utility & Environment Conference, January 2011.
- Speaker, “EPA Greenhouse Gas New Source Review and Title V Programs – How to Be Prepared,” Webinar, January 2011.
- Speaker, “Current Trends in New Source Review Enforcement Claims, Settlements and Consent Decree Implementation,” 11th Annual Coal-Fired Symposium, May 2010.
- Speaker, “Coal Combustion Waste – What Can We Expect in Regulation and Litigation in 2010?” Winston & Strawn Roundtable, February and April 2010.
- Speaker, “Obama/Jackson EPA New Air Enforcement Initiative,” EUEC Energy & Environment 2010 Conference, February 2010.
- Speaker, “Climate Change — Recent Developments and Recommended Action for Energy Users,” Winston & Strawn eLunch, August 2009.
- Speaker, Utility Enforcement Initiative, “Update, Future Strategy,” Burns & McDonnell Coal-Fired Symposium, May 2009.
- Speaker, “So You Want to Settle Your NSR Case,” The Electric Utility Environmental Conference (EUEC), February 2009.
- Speaker, “Title V: The New NSR,” EUEC, January 2008.