Alexander Shaknes is a partner in the firm’s New York office who represents major corporate clients in a wide range of complex commercial litigation matters.
Mr. Shaknes’s experience includes litigating and settling major commercial disputes and class actions in federal and state courts. In addition, he represents clients in commercial arbitrations, governmental investigations, contractual disputes, regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings, and internal corporate investigations.
Some of his recent cases include:
- Represented Philip Morris USA Inc. in a ground-breaking, multi-hundred-billion-dollar settlement with governmental authorities and in a related multi-billion-dollar arbitration against 48 U.S. states and territories.
- Represented Pfizer Inc. in a multi-hundred-million dollar contract dispute with a group of business partners.
- Represented Renova Group, the leading Russian asset management company, in a multi-jurisdictional dispute over the control of one of the largest Russian industrial companies.
- Represented Qualcomm Inc. in litigation before the New York Supreme Court over a joint venture agreement with a group of Russian investors.
Mr. Shaknes received a diploma, with highest distinction, in 1980 from the Russian Academy of Science and a M.S., summa cum laude, from the Moscow University of Civil Engineering in 1985. He received his J.D. in 1995 from Columbia University Law School, where he was a Kent Scholar and an editor of the Columbia Law Review.
Speeches and Publications
Mr. Shaknes’s recent publications include:
- “Anti-Suit and Anti-Anti-Suit Injunctions in Multi-Jurisdictional Proceedings,” International Law Practicum, Autumn 2008.