Margaret Lomenzo Frey is a corporate partner in Winston & Strawn’s Chicago office. Ms. Frey concentrates her practice in private equity fund formations and investments and Investment Advisers Act compliance. She also represents clients in venture capital financings, buyouts, private placements, joint ventures, compliance with exemptions under the Investment Company Act, acquisitions, divestitures and general corporate matters.
Ms. Frey’s experience includes structuring and forming private equity, real estate, distressed and mezzanine funds, hedge funds, fund of funds, single investor funds, and secondary funds. She also focuses on representing clients in purchases and sales of secondary interests in private funds. Ms. Frey also represents institutional investors—with a special focus on financial institutions—investing in private equity, real estate, and hedge funds.
Representative clients include: Bank of America Capital Advisers, Bank of America Merrill Lynch Capital Access Funds, Bank of America Capital Corporation, Conversus, Frontenac Company, Oak Hill Investment Partnership, and Wrigley Management.
Representative transactions include:
- Representation of a leading diversified financial institution in secondary market sale to Conversus Capital, L.P. of approximately $1.8 billion portfolio representing over 180 private equity fund investments
- Representation of fund management teams or individuals in split-offs and separation matters
- Representation of a leading diversified financial institution in formation of fund of funds vehicles focusing on venture, buyout, international, and real estate investments
- Representation of family offices in structuring alternative investments platforms
- Formation of single investor funds and direct access
- Representation of a leading diversified financial institution in connection with investments in private equity and hedge funds
- Representation of Frontenac Company in forming Frontenac IX Private Capital
Ms. Frey is a member of the American Bar Association and the firm’s Hiring Committee and Partner Compensation Committee.
Ms. Frey received a B.A. from the University of California at Santa Barbara in 1992, where she was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. She received a J.D. from the University of Southern California in 1996.