Ronald Rothstein is a trial attorney with substantial first chair experience in complex commercial matters, including class action and Lanham Act false advertising, trademark and cybersquatting litigation, and copyright litigation. He has successfully handled numerous class action false advertising, trademark, and domain name cases in federal courts throughout the United States. He also represents clients before the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureaus in false advertising matters.
Mr. Rothstein has represented, as first chair trial counsel, companies in cases involving several of the nation’s best-selling food and beverage products, prescription and nonprescription drugs, leading quick service restaurants, automotive antifreeze manufacturers, financial services companies, big-box hardware retailers, leading tax preparation service providers, advertising agencies, major consumer products companies, and leading consumer electronics manufacturers in high profile intellectual property cases in federal district courts in the United States. He has also served as first chair trial counsel in class action and multi-district class action litigation.
Mr. Rothstein has also successfully represented numerous advertising agencies and famous brand advertisers in several Screen Actor’s Guild and Copyright Act cases brought in federal court concerning royalties paid for the use of music in television advertising. He has also successfully represented well-known companies in trademark and cybersquatting cases brought in federal court to recover domain names and stop consumer and professional fraud.
One notable representation by Mr. Rothstein includes his role as first chair trial counsel in a multi-district class action litigation involving a high profile consumer product recall involving a popular children’s toy and investigation by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Mr. Rothstein frequently handles federal litigation involving requests for temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunction motions and has successfully sought and defended expedited trials on such motions in federal courts across the United States.
Honors and Awards
Mr. Rothstein was listed in the World Trademark Review’s 2013 WTR 1000. WTR referred to Mr. Rothstein as a “seasoned litigator [who] conducts trademark suits across the country on behalf of a diverse set of patrons… He is also admired in the closely related field of false advertising.” He has also been recognized in Super Lawyers as a Rising Star.
Mr. Rothstein served as vice-chair of the Canadian Law Committee of the American Bar Association’s International Law Section from 1997 to 2002. He also was editor-in-chief of the Canadian Law Newsletter from 1996 to 2002.
Mr. Rothstein received a B.A. in Political Studies, with honors, from the University of Manitoba in 1991. He received a J.D., cum laude, from Valparaiso University School of Law in 1994 and an LL.M. from the George Washington University Law Center in 1998.
Speeches and Publications
Mr. Rothstein’s recent speaking engagements include:
- “Class Action Litigation Update,” Grocery Manufacturers Association 2013 Litigation Conference, Miami, FL (February 19-21, 2013).
- “Copycat Private Class Actions: Making and Breaking the Links,” American Bar Association, 2013 Consumer Protection Conference, Washington, D.C. (February 7, 2013).
- “Food Advertising, Labeling and Nutrition: What To Expect in 2013, Trends in Litigation,” Moderator, FDLI’s Food Advertising, Labeling, and Nutrition Conference, 2013 Food Advertising Conference, Food Week, Washington, D.C. (February 6, 2013).
- “A Concise and Practical Review of U.S. Case Law Trends,” Canadian Institute, Advertising and Marketing Law Conference, Toronto, Canada (January 23-24, 2013).
- “Food Advertising: Claims, Litigation and Strategies,” Moderator, FDLI's Food Advertising: Claims, Litigation and Strategies Conference, New York, NY (November 15, 2012).
- “Government Cases and Class Actions: Making and Breaking the Links,” American Bar Association, 2012 Annual Meeting, Antitrust Law Section, Chicago, IL (August 2-7, 2012).
- “Managing Liability in an Increasingly Litigious Environment: Class Actions, State Attorneys General, and Lanham Act Cases,” Food and Drug Law Institute, Food Week 2012, Washington, D.C. (January 23-26, 2012).
- “Deterring and Defending Against the Growing Nightmare of Consumer Class Action Litigation,” American Conference Institute, Litigating and Resolving Advertising Disputes Conference, New York, NY (June 22, 2011).
- “False Advertising: The Lanham Act Preliminary Injunction Hearing,” American Bar Association, 2010 Spring Meeting, Antitrust Section, Washington, D.C. (April 21-23, 2010).