Nuclear License Renewal
License renewal is now a mature process with a clear road map for success. The major legal risk involves the licensing hearings. W&S has extensive experience in handling these hearings for several of our clients. We assisted two of the first utilities in obtaining renewed operating licenses from the NRC in 2000—Duke Energy and Southern Nuclear Operating Company. We also have supported several other utilities that have since entered the license renewal arena. Our license renewal work routinely involves efforts to:
- assess and analyze license renewal vulnerabilities prior to the preparation of an application
- review environmental reports prepared in accordance with NEPA
- assist applicants in incorporating the NRC’s Generic Aging Lessons Learned report into their license renewal applications
- defend against intervention in contested licensing hearings
- provide training to both legal and licensing personnel regarding the technical and environmental aspects of license renewal (e.g., issues concerning Severe Accident Mitigation Alternatives, Environmental Justice, and transportation and storage of radioactive waste)
Winston also keeps abreast of ongoing legal and regulatory developments in the license renewal arena as a member of NEI’s License Renewal Working Group and its supporting License Renewal Task Force.