Clients can count on Winston & Strawn's patent attorneys to possess both the legal and scientific knowledge necessary to build strong protection for their innovations. Our attorneys hold many advanced degrees in science and technology, which enable them to better prosecute, develop, maintain, and license patent portfolios worldwide. Several attorneys also had careers in technical fields prior to becoming lawyers. This background allows for seamless and effective representation that keeps our clients' costs low while helping to maximize their value.
Our strong track record of achieving successful results is evidenced by the number of patents we've secured from the USPTO that have survived the harsh test of litigation. Winston's patent prosecution attorneys regularly consult with our patent litigation attorneys in a unified effort to help our clients stay out of court and mount an aggressive defense, should they face litigation.
Our patent prosecution experience includes:
- Conducting intellectual property audits to identify patentable inventions, trade secrets, and other proprietary interests.
- Developing strategies for optimizing intellectual property protection of client products, including coordination and supervision of patent filings in relevant markets worldwide.
- Conducting searches and rendering opinions on patentability of inventions.
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications covering diverse technological fields before the USPTO and foreign patent offices.
- Representing clients in interference, reexamination, and protested reissue proceedings before the USPTO.
- Rendering opinions on patent infringement and validity.
- Negotiating and drafting agreements relating to patents and other intellectual property assets, such as patent and technology licenses, technology transfer agreements, product and software development agreements, and research and development agreements.
- Establishing and maintaining trade secret protocols.
Although we are nationally recognized for representing generic drug manufacturers in their patent matters, our experience spans diverse fields. We have obtained favorable patents for clients ranging in size from independent inventors to multinational corporations for their discoveries in chemistry, biotechnology, food science, aerospace engineering, computer science, Internet-related technology, electrical engineering, materials science, mechanical engineering, medical equipment and instruments, telecommunications, business methodology, and software development, to name just a few.