Timothy Rivelli is a partner in the firm’s litigation department and a first-chair trial lawyer in major business cases. He has handled litigation in a wide range of substantive areas, including in business torts, private securities class actions, SEC litigation relating to securities fraud and insider trading, lending and credit issues, RICO, antitrust, professional liability, financing disputes, merger and acquisition litigation, shareholder derivative suits, and bankruptcy. He is also frequently retained to advise corporate boards, directors, and officers on corporate governance or risk management matters, to conduct and report on internal investigations, and to represent companies in investigations by state and federal government agencies and in the litigation that often follows.
Substantively, Mr. Rivelli’s experience encompasses the following:
- Litigation relating to project and commercial financing agreements, including energy generation
- Litigation related to joint venture product development of medical technology
- Litigation related to the performance of long-term supply contracts
- Litigation over financial and equity payments following acquisition transaction
- Litigation over the breach of warranties relating to the sale of business
Corporate and Shareholder Litigation
- Corporate internal investigations
- The representation of Independent Directors at banking institutions in internal investigations on credit issues and lending practices
- The evaluation of corporate compliance and business ethics programs
- The defense of corporate and individual officers in grand jury and governmental investigative proceedings
- The defense of shareholder derivative proceedings and civil litigation related to criminal and governmental regulatory proceedings
Securities and Financial Litigation
- Securities fraud and insider trading litigation brought by the Securities Exchange Commission against a mutual fund adviser and various officers
- Workout litigation relating to lending and credit issues
Business Tort and RICO Litigation
- Litigation involving claims of misrepresentation, fraud, interference with contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, and deceptive trade practices
- The prosecution and defense of fraud and RICO claims in the corporate context
Health Care Litigation
- The representation of a public company in federal grand jury proceedings related to federal anti-kickback claims arising out of the sale of health care services and products, and related shareholder class actions and a Delaware derivative case
- The representation of a consulting firm for hospital health care systems in litigation with medical device manufacturers over claims of trade secrets and confidentiality on hospital device pricing information
- The representation of a hospital in connection with a false statement civil claims action relating to Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement for FDA-approved devices
- The representation of a health care consulting firm in an action against a group health insurance company based on claims of silent-PPO issues for hospital systems and related business tort litigation
- The defense of clients in civil actions and criminal investigations related to price fixing and vertical price restraints
- The representation of clients in antitrust merger or acquisition reviews
- The representation of clients in compliance and internal investigations related to antitrust matter
- The defense of legal malpractice claims in cases arising out of the sale of businesses, initial public offerings, and the operation of closely held corporations
- The defense of a consulting firm for claims of damages for breach of contract, fraud, and tort claims relating to the installation of information technology
Creditor Rights Enforcement and Bankruptcy Litigation
- The defense of breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and fraudulent conveyance claims against shareholders and management in adversary proceedings in bankruptcy
- The prosecution of bankruptcy plan approval involving proof and expert testimony on business valuation issues
Mr. Rivelli’s client representations include: Accenture Ltd., Ameritech, Aspen Healthcare, Beatrice Hunt/Wesson, Booth Creek Ltd., CNA, C.R. Bard, Inc., Caremark International, Inc., Caterpillar Inc., Fine Line Films, General Electric, Gillett Communications, Harris Bank, Heller Financial, Inc., Kartemquin Educational Films, Keebler Foods Company, MedAssets, Meredith Corporation, The McCartin Group, Inc., Morgan Yacht, National Westminster Bank, Nanovation Technologies, Inc., NIBCO, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Nuveen, Inc., Outside Magazine; Owens-Corning, Recycled Paper Products, Rocky Mountain Energy Corp., SCI Communications, Staley Continental, Superior Construction, Inc., Thomson Newspapers Inc., Tropicana Products, Inc., UBid, Inc., Union Pacific, United Airlines, Inc., and Western Enterprises Fund, Inc.
Mr. Rivelli received a B.A. from Northwestern University in 1976. He received a J.D., cum laude, from Loyola University School of Law in 1979.
Honors & Awards
Mr. Rivelli was recently recognized by U.S. News & World Report, Best Lawyers® 2014, and Best Lawyers of America 2015 for his commercial litigation practice. He has been recognized as an “Illinois Super Lawyer” from 2003 to present and by Leading Lawyers Network from 2003 to present. He was acknowledged in Best Lawyerspublications for Litigation in 2012 and 2013, and received a Northwestern University Distinguished Alumni Award in 2012 (Philosophy Department). In 2014, the white collar litigation attorneys in Chicago, including Mr. Rivelli, were awarded as “Chicago Litigation Department of the Year” in the National Law Journal for white collar defense.
Mr. Rivelli speaks frequently on issues of trial practice and corporate governance and has taught trial practice at both Northwestern University Law School and Loyola University of Chicago Law School. He is a Director of Edward/Elmhurst Hospital and Vice-chair of the Board of Directors of Catholic Charities of Chicago.
Mr. Rivelli also regularly conducts legal education programs for clients on corporate governance issues, investigations and regulatory compliance, and general litigation topics.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, JD, 1979
- Northwestern University, BA, 1976