Mike Moyers is a partner in the firm’s Chicago office whose practice focuses on estate planning with a particular focus on tax and business planning for business owners.
Mr. Moyers advises closely held businesses and their owners on succession and related tax and other legal matters. He also counsels high net worth families on a variety of wealth management and fiduciary matters.
In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Moyers spent two years organizing and managing the startup of a nationally chartered trust company.
Mr. Moyers received an A.B., with distinction and departmental honors, from Stanford University in 1988 and a J.D., with distinction, from Stanford University Law School in 1991, where he was associate editor of the Stanford Law Reviewand elected to the Order of the Coif.
Honors & Awards
The Illinois Leading Lawyers Network recognizes Mr. Moyers as a premier attorney in Tax Law, as well as in Trust, Will, and Estate Planning. He has also been listed in The Best Lawyers in America from 2005-2012 and 2014.
Mr. Moyers is a member of the Chicago Bar Association, as a member of its Federal Estate and Gift Tax and Trust Law committees; the Illinois State Bar Association, as a member of its Trusts and Estates and Federal Taxation sections; the Ohio State Bar Association, as a member of its Estate Planning, Probate, and Trust Law committee; and the Lawyers Chapter of The Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies.
- “Administrative Nightmares – Application of the Private Foundation Rules,” The Northern Trust Bank, August 2011.
- “Preparing for the Family Business Sale,” J.P. Morgan Chase, November 2009.
- Instructor, “2006 Estate Planning and Drafting Series,” an 18-week intensive CLE program for specialization credits in estate planning, probate, and trust law sponsored by the Cincinnati Bar Association.
- “Charitable Remainder Trusts Offer Noncharitable Benefits,” 58 Tax’n Acc’t285 (1997)
- “Survey of Illinois Law – Trusts and Estates,” 20 S.Ill. L. Rev. 959 (1996)
- Stanford University, JD, 1991
- Stanford University, BA, 1988