Paul D. McGrady is a partner in Winston & Strawn’s Chicago office and chair of the firm’s trademark, domain names, and brand enforcement practice. He has taught Advanced Trademarks and Cyberlaw at DePaul Law School. Mr. McGrady is the author of McGrady on Domain Names, the three-volume definitive treatise on domain name law, which is published by LexisNexis and is now in its thirteenth release. He is also the author of McGrady on Social Media which was published by LexisNexis and is now in its second release.
Mr. McGrady works with clients in the adoption, prosecution, licensing and enforcement of trademarks in the United States and throughout the world.
Mr. McGrady represents large brand owners, including new gTLD applicants in their domain name and Internet matters. His experience includes domain name disputes, domain name transactions, the creation of new top level domain names, CAN-SPAM disputes, Computer Fraud & Abuse Act disputes, online copyright and brand identity disputes, and transactions and counseling related to intellectual property aspects of social/mobile media.
Mr. McGrady has successfully handled more than 300 proceedings under the Uniform Domain Dispute Resolution Procedure (UDRP). Mr. McGrady has also handled multiple litigations brought under the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA) and successful actions under foreign domain name dispute policies.
Prior to working in a private practice, Mr. McGrady was in-house counsel for a Fortune 500 retailer practicing in trademarks, franchising, advertising, and shareholder/member relations.
Mr. McGrady received a B.A. in History and Political Science from Cedarville University in 1993. He received his J.D. from DePaul University School of Law in 1996.
Honors & Awards
In 2008, Mr. McGrady was selected by IP Law & Business Magazine as one of the “Top 50 Under 45” most influential intellectual property attorneys in the United States. In 2012 and 2011, Mr. McGrady was recognized in the World Trademark Review’s “WTR 1000” as a world leading trademark individual for contentious and non-contentious work.
Mr. McGrady is active with the International Trademark Association (INTA). He serves as chair of the Internet Committee’s Online Trademark Use sub-committee for (2014-2015) and sub-committee chair for the Internet Governance Sub-Committee (2012-2014). He is a former member of INTA’s Program’s Board, previous co-chair of the 2012 INTA Leadership Meeting, a former programs board liaison for the 2009 Annual Meeting, team leader for the U.S. Programming Annual Meeting in 2008, co-chair of the trademark administrator’s conference, team member of the Trademark Administrator’s Conference, and team member of the Trademarks Basics Conference.
Mr. McGrady is an active member of the Intellectual Property Constituency of ICANN.
Mr. McGrady is an adjunct professor at the DePaul University College of Law’s Center for Intellectual Property and Information Technology.
In addition, Mr. McGrady is a member of the Christian Legal Society and the Union League Club. He also is a member of the board of trustees for the Eliza Jennings Senior Care Network, serving on the Development subcommittee and as a member of the Host Committee for the 2013 Eliza Jennings Gala.
- “Bizarre UDRP Decision Against Google Reminds Brand Owners of ‘Wild Card’ Risk,” LexisNexis Emerging Issues Analysis, Research Solutions, May 2013
- “Drinking From a Fire Hose: Future-Proofing Your Internet Strategies,” World Trademark Review, February/March 2013
- “Paul D. McGrady, Jr. on the New gTLDs,” LexisNexis Copyright and Trademark Law Community, July 2011
- “McGrady on Internationalized Domain Names and Traditional Trademark Transliteration Preparedness,” LexisNexis Research Solutions, December 2007
- “McGrady on the New .asia Auction Process,” LexisNexis Research Solutions, November 2007
- Author, McGrady on Social Media, LexisNexis, October 2011
- Author, McGrady on Domain Names, LexisNexis, May 2007-2011
- Panelist, “Understanding and Managing the Launch of New gTLDs,” AIPLA Annual Meeting, October 2011
- Panelist, “To the Right of the Dot,” INTA Trademark and the Internet, September 2011
- Panelist, “Social Responsibility,” INTA Trademark and the Internet, September 2011
- Speaker, “New gTLDs: The Who, What, Where, Why, and How Much?” Chicago Bar Association, Internet Committee, September 2011
- Speaker, “Domain Name Expansion: Pros, Cons, and Costs,” Association of Corporate Counsel -Chicago Chapter, Chicago, June 23, 2011
- Speaker, “The Do's and Don'ts of Starting an Internet Business,” LexisNexis Webinar, June 2011
- Panelist, “INTA Policy Update - New gTLDs,” INTA Annual Meeting, May 2011
- Panelist, “Current State of the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP),” webinar, ICANN, May 2011
- Speaker, “MODELS: New Extensions, New Opportunities,” .nxt Conference, San Francisco, February 2011
- Panelist, “Internet Domain Name Dispute Resolution,” Signifiers in Cyberspace Symposium, Case Western Reserve University, College of Law, November 2009
- Speaker, “Domain Name Dispute Resolution,” IDRC, Seoul, October 2009
- Speaker, “Introduction to New Top Level Domains,” Center for Intellectual Property Law & Information Technology, Protecting Your Marks In & From the New Top Level Domains, September 16, 2009
- Speaker, “The Other Side of the Dot: Becoming Your Own Top Level Domain Registry,” Chicago Bar Association, Intellectual Property Committee Meeting, January 2009
- Panelist, “Protecting and Promoting Your Brand Online: From TDL to New gTDL,” International Trademark Association Online Seminar, November 2008
- Speaker, “Be the Master of Your Domain Name: Current Trends and New Strategies,” Midwest Intellectual Property Institute, Minneapolis, September 2008
- Speaker, “The Expanding Domain Space: Internationalized Domains, New Top Level Domains and What to do About Them,” Intellectual Property & Technology Institute - 6th Annual, Denver, June 2008
- Moderator, “Why We Do What We Do,” INTA Annual Meeting, Berlin, 2008
Presenter, “Trademark Enforcement for the WWW (a.k.a. Wild, Wild, Web): Strategies, Trends, and Controversies,” Corporation Service Company, Webinar, October 2007
- Speaker, “Too Hot, Too Cold, or Just Right? Cybersquatting and Domain Name Disputes: Cases, Controversies and Trends,” Chicago Bar Association, Cyberlaw & Privacy Committee, September 2007
- Speaker, “The UDRP process and Other Hot Domain Name Topics,” 2007 Intellectual Property Law Seminar and Midyear Meeting, Oklahoma Bar Association, IP Section, June 2007
- Facilitator, “Blogs, Wikis and Other Internet Varmits,” International Information Technology Law Association, April 2007
- Presenter, “The Hummingbird, the Ostrich and the Hawk: What Your Clients Should be Doing to Protect Themselves on the Internet,” Navigant Consulting Legal Roundtable, November 2006
- Presenter, “Complying with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act,” Rocky Mountain Copyright Society, November 2006
- Presenter, “The Madrid Protocol: A Big Walk on the Beach?” Trademark Administrator's Conference of the International Trademark Association, 2005
- Presenter, “Internet Related Aspects of Intellectual Property,” Intellectual Property Committee of the Young Lawyers Section, Chicago Bar Association, January 2005
- Presenter, “Internet Matters,” Trademark Administrators Conference of the International Trademark Association, 2004
- Presenter, “Trademarks and the Internet,” DePaul University College of Law, Intellectual Property Legal Clinic
- Presenter, “Internet Strategies for the Brick & Mortar Business,” General Counsels Committee of the National Paint & Coatings Association
- Advertising, Consumer Protection and Entertainment Disputes
- Advertising, Promotions & New Media Counseling and Transactions
- Brand Enforcement/ Trademark Litigation
- Copyright Infringement Litigation
- Domain Names & ICANN
- IP/IT Transactions & Licensing
- Intellectual Property
- Trademark Prosecution
- DePaul University JD, 1996