Warren Loui is a partner in the firm’s Los Angeles office whose practice focuses on corporate finance, including corporate lending, securitization, and capital raising for emerging companies.
Mr. Loui represents lenders and issuers in financings and restructurings, which have included acquisition financings up to $3.7 billion. He has particular experience in acquisition financings and the auto, entertainment, gaming and life settlement industries.
His practice is also highly concentrated on structured financings. His work in this area includes representation of issuers or placement agents in securitizing assets in transactions valued up to $6.5 billion, including collateralized debt obligations, prime and sub-prime automobile loans, automobile leases, dealer floor plan loans, trade receivables, Australian residential mortgages, entertainment receivables and commercial mortgages. He represented the lead investor in some of the first securitizations of life settlements and non-performing loans and the issuer in the first securitization of electronic automobile receivables and the first securitization under the Federal Reserve Board’s Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility.
In addition, Mr. Loui assists investors and companies in other corporate transactions. These matters have included representing a cell phone peripherals company in its potential sale; an investor in the first-round financing of Broadcom Corporation; a Broadway theater organization in the financing of a Chinese joint venture; formation and financing work for an open-source software incubator and a 3-D animation company; an acquisition of an automotive dealership; and corporate planning for a security screening company.
His representative experience includes:
- Represented Bankers Trust Company as administrative agent in a $3.7 billion acquisition financing of Borg-Warner.
- Represented Bankers Trust Company as administrative agent in a $100 million restructuring of Carolco Pictures.
- Represented Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce as administrative agent in a series of financings for Isle of Capri aggregating in excess of $600 million.
- Represented Hyundai Capital (Korea) as issuer in a cross-border securitization of automobile loans.
- Represented Hyundai Motor Co. in securitizations of automobile loans aggregating in excess of $4 billion.
- Represented Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation in more than 50 public and private securitizations of automobile loans, automobile leases, and dealer floor plan loans, aggregating more than $45 billion; more than $10 billion of commercial paper securitizations of leases and loans; and multiple credit facilities.
- Represented Trust Company of the West as collateral manager in six collateralized debt obligations aggregating in excess of $4.6 billion, including the first SEQUILS-MINCS transaction.
- Represented an entertainment company as issuer in two securitizations of filmed entertainment receivables aggregating approximately $800 million and in its subordinated loan to and distribution arrangements with DreamWorks.
- Represented a producer of made-for-television movies in a securitization designed to fund the production and distribution of films.
- Represented private companies as issuers in $700 million of commitments to fund senior life insurance settlements.
- Represented American Honda Finance as issuer in its initial $3.079 billion automobile lease securitization.
- Represented an NBA player’s agent in formation and financing matters.
- Represented SunAmerica as placement agent and investor in the initial $10 million securitization of charged-off credit cards for a private issuer, as well as follow-on securitizations aggregating $46 million.
- Represented SunAmerica as placement agent and investor in a $119 million securitization of aircraft leases and the underlying aircraft.
- Represented a private issuer in a series of financings of contestable life insurance policies.
- Represented Wachovia and Wells Fargo as lender in a series of entertainment company financings.
Mr. Loui received a B.S. in 1977 from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and an M.B.A. in 1981 from Stanford University. He received a J.D. in 1981 from Stanford Law School, where he was associate editor of the Stanford Law Review.
Honors & Awards
Mr. Loui is listed in the International Financial Law Review’s 1000 World’s Leading Lawyers, Corporate Counsel, The Best Lawyers in America, as a Super Lawyer by Los Angeles Magazine for banking, and he was selected as one of 40 corporate lawyer dealmakers in Los Angeles in the Los Angeles Business Journal's 2011 "Who's Who in Law." He has also been recommended in the area of structured finance by the Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides.
- Executive Advisory Board, Asian Pacific American Legal Center
- Board of Directors, Nissan Disaster Relief Fund
- Board of Directors, Weingart Center
- Board of Advisors, Gunfighter Wine
- Co-Managing Member, Cardinal Rule Wines
- Member, American College of Investment Counsel
- Former President, Organization of Chinese American Entrepreneurs Advisory Network
- Former Member, California State Bar Corporations Committee
- Former Co-chair, Joint Minority Bar Task Force on Diversity
- Former Member, Los Angeles Bar Association Committee on Diversity
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Los Angeles Downtown YMCA
Mr. Loui is a member of the firm's Corporate Opinion Committee.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Loui frequently speaks about the legal issues affecting his practice at various industry seminars and conferences. Some of his most recent engagements include National Asian Pacific American Bar Association conventions and National Asian American conferences on Law and Policy, the Inaugural California Diversity and Leadership Conference, Asia Securitization Conferences, and the ADB Conference on Asian Debt Restructuring. He also is an adjunct professor at USC Law School, where he teaches on secured transactions.