J. Dean Lechtenberger is a partner in the firm’s Houston office who focuses his practice on patent and trade secret litigation matters involving various complex technologies, particularly in the oil and gas industry. In addition, he has worked on cases involving the manufacture of consumer electronic products, medical monitoring equipment, computer networking, and methods of infrastructure rehabilitation.
Mr. Lechtenberger’s experience in litigation includes serving as lead trial counsel; trial witness examination; trial preparation; Markman hearings; preliminary injunction hearings; contempt proceedings; all aspects of discovery, mediation, and settlement negotiations; and appellate practice and oral argument before the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. His practice also includes counseling clients on patent acquisition and enforcement issues, licensing, and re-examination proceedings, as well as preparing noninfringement and invalidity opinions. Previously, Mr. Lechtenberger worked as a drilling engineer for Atlantic Richfield, where he provided engineering and supervision of onshore and offshore drilling and completion operations.
- Millennium Cryogenics Technologies, Inc. v. Weatherford Artificial Lift Systems, Inc. et al. Patent infringement litigation regarding cryogenic process for removing elastomeric stators from metallic stator housings.
- Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling, Inc. v. Stena Drilling Limited, et al. Patent infringement litigation regarding dual activity drillships.
- Weatherford International, Inc. et al v. Halliburton Energy Services, Inc. et al. Patent infringement litigation regarding composite downhole plugs for oil and gas wells.
- MGM Well Services, Inc. v. Mega Lift Systems, LLC. Patent infringement litigation regarding plunger lift systems for oil and gas well production.
- National Oilwell, L.P. v. Helmerich & Payne, Inc. Patent infringement litigation regarding oil and gas well drilling rigs.
- Davis Lynch v. Weatherford International. Patent infringement litigation regarding cementing equipment for oil and gas wells.
- Weatherford International, Inc. v. CaseTech International. Patent infringement litigation regarding cementing equipment for oil/gas wells.
- SPM v. National Oilwell. Patent infringement litigation regarding pumps for oilfield equipment.
- National Oilwell v. Soilmec. Patent infringement regarding drilling rigs.
- Allamon Tool Co. v. Weatherford International, Inc.Patent infringement and theft of trade secret litigation regarding casing liner running equipment.
- Samsung v. Texas Instruments.(ITC). Patent infringement regarding the manufacture of consumer electronic products.
- A.G. Geophysical v. LTI, Inc. Patent infringement regarding the manufacture of underwater connectors for seismic industry.
- B.J. Services v. Dawson Enterprises, Inc. Trademark infringement regarding an oilfield service mark.
Mr. Lechtenberger received a B.S. in Petroleum Engineering from the University of Texas in 1981 and a J.D. from the University of Texas School of Law in 1989.
Honors & Awards
Mr. Lechtenberger was named a Texas Litigation Star in the 2015 edition of Benchmark Litigation. He has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America since 2013 and as one of Texas’ Top Rated Lawyers for Intellectual Property in 2012 and 2013.
Mr. Lechtenberger is a member of the American Bar Association, American Intellectual Property Association, Houston Bar Association, Houston Intellectual Property Law Association, and a fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation.
- US Patent & Trade Office
- University of Texas, JD, 1989
- University of Texas, BS, 1981