Partner Amanda Groves practices in San Francisco, California and Charlotte, North Carolina, and serves as the head of litigation for the Charlotte office. She has been successfully representing consumer-product companies (including in the technology and food industries), national retailers, and lending institutions in complex commercial litigation since 1996. She focuses her practice on consumer class action defense, primarily in cases alleging consumer fraud, false advertising, and product liability.
With her extensive experience in consumer protection statutes, Ms. Groves has successfully defended clients in consumer class actions by obtaining dismissal orders, summary judgment and negotiating settlements with no cash payments by the client. These include nationwide consumer class actions brought on behalf of millions of plaintiffs, as well as statewide cases alleging false advertising, unfair competition, fraud and consumer privacy statutes.
Ms. Groves’ clients benefit from her ability to prepare accurate budgets and her practical, problem-solving approach to litigation issues. They have also remarked that they particularly appreciate her responsiveness and personal attention to their matters.
PRACTICE AREAS BY INDUSTRY
Food and Beverage:
Ms. Groves is a leading practitioner in food labeling cases, and recently has defended the following brands, among others, in false advertising class actions brought under various state consumer protection laws: Costco’s Kirkland Signature products, Diamond Foods culinary walnuts, Heinz’s distilled white vinegar, Kettle brand potato chips, Pacific Foods soy milk products, and Pop Secret Popcorn.
Ms. Groves also has defended companies in cases alleging food contaminant and safety issues, including:
- A class action resulting from an employee at a national pizza chain contracting Hepatitis A;
- A walnut oil product distributed in Europe allegedly contaminated with mineral oil; and
- The inclusion of partially hydrogenated oil (PHOs) in microwave popcorn.
Ms. Groves’ financial services practice focuses on consumer fraud claims challenging banking practices and policies, particularly in the following areas:
- Privacy and Data Breach – Responded to government inquiries and conducted internal investigation for financial institution’s data breach regarding borrower data.
- Ponzi-Scheme and Customer Fraud Cases – Regularly defends banks against damage claims by alleged victims of a bank customer’s fraud.
- Credit Practices Challenges – Defended national credit card company in California class action challenging collection practices; defended national consumer loan corporation in multiple class actions challenging add-on products and loan origination policies and practices.
In addition to successfully resolving class actions for financial institutions, Ms. Groves also represents banks and other corporate clients in vendor litigation, business to business contract disputes and successor liability suits.
Finally, Ms. Groves defends class actions alleging consumer fraud and privacy breaches for national retailers. Specifically, she has defended class actions challenging the privacy practices of Sunglass Hut, LLC, Luxottica, and Brooks Brothers. She also defends class actions alleging consumer fraud and product performance issues for major national retailers such as Sony Electronics, and T-Mobile USA, Inc.
Ms. Groves received a B.A. in communication studies, cum laude, from the University of California at Los Angeles in 1993. She received a J.D., cum laude, from Santa Clara University of Law in 1996.
Honors & Awards
Ms. Groves was named as one of 25 Outstanding Women in Business by the Charlotte Business Journal in 2014.
Ms. Groves is chair of the firm's Pro Bono Committee, a member of the Firm’s management committee and a member and former Chair of the firm’s Diversity Committee. Ms. Groves currently serves as a member of the Mecklenburg County Bar Diversity & Inclusion Committee, and a member of the Legal Services of Southern Piedmont Board of Directors. She is a founding director for the Silicon Valley Campaign for Legal Services and a former board member of Community Legal Services, Inc. in East Palo Alto, CA. She is also head of litigation in the firm’s Charlotte office.
- North Carolina
- Santa Clara University, JD, 1996
- University of California - Los Angeles, BA, 1993