Partner Amanda Groves practices in San Francisco, California and Charlotte, North Carolina, and serves as the head of litigation for the Charlotte office. She has been successfully representing consumer-product companies (including in the technology and food industries), national retailers, and lending institutions in complex commercial litigation since 1996.
With her extensive experience in California consumer protection statutes, Ms. Groves has successfully defended clients in consumer class actions by obtaining dismissal orders, summary judgment and negotiating settlements with no cash payments by the client. These include nationwide consumer class actions brought on behalf of millions of plaintiffs, as well as statewide cases alleging false advertising, unfair competition, fraud, violations of CLRA, and consumer privacy statutes.
Ms. Groves has successfully resolved class actions for financial institutions as well, including national cases challenging loan origination and collection practices. Ms. Groves also represents financial institutions and other corporate clients in vendor litigation, business to business contract disputes and the defense of corporate transactions challenged in state and federal court.
Ms. Groves’ recent trial experience includes:
- secured $27.5 million tax credit for county's largest taxpayer following bench trial on bifurcated claims
- jury verdict for the defense in the retrial of a punitive damages claim (initial trial by another counsel resulted in a substantial jury verdict against client)
- a successful defense verdict (jury), including award of attorneys’ fees on behalf of a materials supplier
- a successful 12-0 jury verdict in a defective manufacture lawsuit
Ms. Groves’ clients benefit from her ability to prepare accurate budgets and from her practical, problem-solving approach to litigation issues. They also have remarked that they particularly appreciate her responsiveness and personal attention to their matters.
Ms. Groves received a B.A. in communication studies, cum laude, from the University of California at Los Angeles in 1993. She received a J.D., cum laude, from Santa Clara University of Law in 1996.
Ms. Groves is chair of the firm's Pro Bono Committee, a member and former Chair of the firm’s Diversity Committee, a member of the Mecklenburg County Bar Diversity & Inclusion Committee, and a member of the Legal Services of Southern Piedmont Board of Directors. She is also head of litigation in the firm’s Charlotte office.
- North Carolina
- Santa Clara University, JD, 1996
- University of California - Los Angeles, BA, 1993