Jason Gordon is an associate in the advertising, marketing, and privacy law group, which was recently named a Media and Entertainment Group of the Year by Law360. He represents advertising agencies, Fortune 100 brands, media companies, consumer packaged goods companies, and other advertisers in all aspects of advertising, marketing, new media, branding, privacy, mobile marketing, behavioral advertising, right of publicity, and traditional trademark and copyright prosecution and counseling.
His practice includes the review of advertising copy, advising with regard to issues such as claim substantiation, false advertising and related intellectual property and privacy/publicity issues, and negotiating and drafting a broad array of contracts, including agency/client agreements, media buying agreements, sponsorship agreements and talent agreements. In the new media area, his practice includes drafting and advising on contracts related to social media, blogging, mobile marketing, behavioral advertising, app development and execution, music licensing, and charitable solicitations. In the intellectual property area, he advises on the protection, maintenance, and licensing of copyrights and trademarks. He also advises clients on sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions.
Mr. Gordon also has experience in resolving complex issues and disputes raising false advertising, unfair competition, copyright infringement, misappropriation of ideas, e-commerce, and contract concerns.
Mr. Gordon received a B.A., with honors, in Political Science and Economics from the University of Iowa. He received a J.D. and Certificate in Intellectual Property Law from Chicago-Kent College of Law. He was a fellow with the Chicago Intellectual Property Colloquium. Mr. Gordon placed second overall in the 2005 National Entertainment Law Moot Court Competition at Pepperdine University School of Law.
Mr. Gordon was re-elected to a two-year term as a director of the Chicago Bar Association’s Young Lawyer’s Section in Spring 2011. He is a volunteer attorney at Lawyers for the Creative Arts, and a member of The Recording Academy, The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, the Chicago Bar Association, and the JUF Young Leadership Division. He previously served as co-chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s YLS Creative Arts Committee (2007-2009).
Mr. Gordon’s speaking engagements include the following:
- “Issues in Advertising Law,” Chicago Bar Association YLS Creative Arts Committee, February 2011.
- “Terminating a sponsorship relationship: Conditions and Clauses,” The Journal of Sponsorship, 4 J. of Sponsor. 1 (2010) (co-author).
- “Walking the Red Carpet as an Entertainment Lawyer,” The University of Iowa, March 2010.
- “How to Substantiate Advertising Claims and Keep your Competitors Honest,” Winston & Strawn eLunch briefing, July 2009.
- “Legal and Business Issues in the New Music Industry,” Chicago Bar Association YLS Creative Arts Committee, January 2008 (moderator).
- Advertising, Consumer Protection and Entertainment Disputes
- Advertising, Promotions & New Media Counseling and Transactions
- Antitrust / Competition
- Brand Enforcement/ Trademark Litigation
- Domain Names & ICANN
- IP/IT Transactions & Licensing
- Intellectual Property
- Privacy & Data Security
- Trademark Prosecution
- Chicago-Kent JD, 2006