Tom Frederick is the managing partner of the firm's Chicago office and his practice includes product liability and commercial litigation, as well as white-collar criminal defense and internal corporate investigation matters.
Mr. Frederick is the supervising partner for Winston & Strawn’s engagement with Philip Morris USA Inc. and has represented the company in numerous smoking and health cases, including the federal government’s civil racketeering action, state attorney general actions, and class actions.
He also has represented major companies in commercial, securities, and other types of litigation, including Altria Group, Inc., General Electric Company, and Motorola Inc.
Some of Mr. Frederick’s significant matters and trials include:
- United States v. Philip Morris USA Inc.(represented Altria and Philip Morris USA in civil racketeering trial)
- Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement Litigation (represents Philip Morris USA in payment dispute with states in courts throughout the United States)
- United States v. General Electric Co.(represented GE in criminal price-fixing trial)
- In re American Continental Corporation/Lincoln Savings & Loan Securities Litigation(represented Lexecon Inc. in securities fraud class action trial)
- Russell v. General Electric Co.(represented GE in alleged whistleblower action)
- Representation of clients in state and federal agency and grand jury investigations
Mr. Frederick received a B.A., with high honors, from Michigan State University in 1978. He received a J.D., cum laude, from the University of Michigan in 1984, where he was an articles editor for the Michigan Law Review and was elected to the Order of the Coif.
Honors & Awards
Mr. Frederick has been identified by Chambers USA and The Legal 500 as one of the leading product liability lawyers in the country. He was recently recognized by U.S. News & World Report, Best Lawyers® 2014, and Best Lawyers in America© 2014 and 2015 for his commercial litigation practice. He also has been recognized by his peers as an Illinois Super Lawyer and an Illinois Leading Lawyer. Mr. Frederick was included as an Illinois Litigation Star in the 2013, 2014, and 2015 editions of Benchmark Litigation: The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys.
In 2014, Winston & Strawn was named the Chicago Litigation Department of the Year for white-collar defense by The National Law Journal.
He is a member of the American Bar Association, the Chicago Bar Association, the Seventh Circuit Bar Association, and DRI.
"Interplay Between Civil and Criminal Proceedings," Successful Partnering Between Inside and Outside Counsel, Thomson Reuters, June 2013
- University of Michigan, JD, 1984
- Michigan State University, BA, 1978