James Donnell is a partner in the firm’s New York office. Since 1986, he has specialized in bankruptcy and restructuring matters.
For more than 20 years, Mr. Donnell has represented secured lenders, creditors’ committees, and companies undergoing Chapter 11 restructuring. His practice includes bankruptcy litigation and out-of-court debt restructurings. His clients have included buyers and sellers of distressed assets, claims, and equity interests.
His representative experience includes:
- District of Delaware (Global Home Products, Pinnacle Brands, Imperial Sugar, Grant Geophysical, Northwestern, Inyx USA, Foothill Resources)
- Eastern District of Louisiana (Forcenergy, Martin Exploration, Crescent City Capital Development Corporation, Efficient Solutions, Inc.)
- District of New Jersey (Bally’s Grand, Allstate Excavating)
- Middle District of Alabama (Enstar)
- Western District of Missouri (SoHo I and SoHo II)
- Southern District of New York (Boston Generating, CIBRO Refining, PSI Net, Fleet Trucking, Metaldyne)
- Southern District of Florida (Southeast Bank Corporation)
- Eastern District of Massachusetts (Bank of New England Corporation)
- District of Arizona (Circle K)
- District of Colorado (Storm Cat)
- Western District of Arkansas (Fairfield Communities)
- Southern District of Ohio (Petro Acquisition, et al; AFM 805, et al)
- Northern District of Texas (Kitty Hawk Airways, General Wireless, Neostar, Search Capital, Express One Limited, Golden Prairie Resources, National Energy Group, Great Eastern Drilling & Engineering Company, First RepublicBank Corporation, First City Bancorporation)
- Southern District of Texas (Apple Orthodontix, Consolidated Equipment, General Homes, Buttes Resources, Richmond Tank Car, Global Marine, Paracelsus Healthcare, Encompass Services, Philip Services, Texas Petrochemicals, Seven Seas Petroleum, Digicon Geophysical Corp., Goldking Holdings)
- Western District of Texas (CompuAdd, Conquest Airlines, TXCO Resources)
- Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.
- Duke Energy
- Aetna Life Insurance Co.
- New England Mutual Life Insurance Co.
- New York State Employees Retirement System
- New York State Teachers’ Retirement System
- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
- National Rural Utilities Cooperative Finance Corp.
- Allstate Financial Corp.
- First RepublicBank Corporation
- First City Bancorporation
- Grant Geophysical, Inc.
- Express One International, Inc.
- Encompass Services
- Omega Navigation
- Paracelsus Healthcare Corporation
- Bank of New England Corporation
- Digicon Geophysical Corp.
- Search Capital
- Great Eastern Drilling & Engineering Company
- General Wireless Corporation
- Seven Seas Petroleum
Mr. Donnell received a B.S., cum laude, in Engineering from Rice University in 1983. He received a J.D., with honors, in 1986 from Texas School of Law.
Honors & Awards
Mr. Donnell has received the highest rating from Martindale Hubbell, “AV,” indicating a “Very High to Preeminent” legal ability. He is Board Certified in Business Bankruptcy and has been recognized as a Super Lawyer in Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights by Texas Monthly (2004-2009) and as a New York Super Lawyer for 2010 and 2011.
Mr. Donnell serves as chairman of the Indenture Trustee Subcommittee of the American Bar Association’s Business Bankruptcy Section. In addition, he is chairman of the American Bar Association’s Energy Business Committee.