Jack Cobb is the managing partner for the firm's Charlotte office. His practice focuses on litigation in financial services and other complex commercial matters. He represents banks and companies in securities lawsuits, internal investigations, shareholder and corporate governance actions, and contract disputes. He also represents clients in connection with government investigations.
- Defense of large financial institutions in class actions involving claims under state second mortgage loan laws.
- Representation of a leading financial institution in a nationwide review of various consumer finance practices and service providers.
- Representation of a leading chemical company in a series of commercial disputes and an arbitration involving a manufacturing facility joint venture. The client prevented dissolution of the venture, obtained a favorable monetary and commercial settlement, and secured the transfer of the joint venture assets.
- Representation of an ocean freight shipping company in connection with various criminal and civil antitrust proceedings.
- Representation of a leading financial institution in all phase of multidistrict litigation arising from the collapse of an Italian food and dairy conglomerate.
Mr. Cobb received his JD in 1989 from the University of Virginia Law School where he was an editor for the Virginia Law Review. He received his BA, magna cum laude, from Davidson College in 1985, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
Before joining Winston & Strawn, Mr. Cobb served as Senior Counsel to the U.S. Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee from 2005-2006. From 1997 to 1999, he was Senior Counsel to the U.S. Senate Governmental Affairs Committee, where he also served as Staff Director for the 1997 Campaign Finance Investigation.
Honors & Awards
Mr. Cobb was recently recognized by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® 2014 for his commercial litigation and banking & finance practices and was ranked in Chambers USA 2014 for Litigation: General Commercial. He was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, for his Commercial Litigation work as well as his Litigation-Banking & Finance work from 2009-2015. He was also named to the “North Carolina Super Lawyers” in the Business Litigation category from 2006-2014. Mr. Cobb is also AV rated from Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Cobb is a permanent member of the Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference. He is currently a Board Member and Member of the Executive Committee for the Mecklenburg Bar Foundation and has served in past years as the Chairman of the Bar Leadership Institute Committee for the Mecklenburg County Bar. Mr. Cobb is also Vice-Chair of the Urban League of the Central Carolinas.
- Presenter, “Indemnification and Advancement of Fees in White Collar Matters,” 2009 White Collar Crime Spring Program, North Carolina Bar Association, May 2009.
- Panelist, “Privilege Waivers and Joint Defense Agreements,” 2009 White Collar Crime Spring Program, North Carolina Bar Association, May 2009.
- North Carolina
- USCA - 4th Circuit for Hon. John Butzner
- University of Virginia, JD, 1989
- Davidson College, BA, 1985