J. Anthony Borrego is of counsel in the firm’s Los Angeles office whose practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions and other corporate transactions.
Mr. Borrego has significant experience representing Fortune 500, middle market, and start-up companies across many industry sectors in mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, venture capital investments, private placements, project finance, distressed transactions, reorganizations, recapitalizations, joint ventures, and general corporate and securities matters.
His representative transactions include representation of:
- a French public semiconductor company in several transactions, including an international joint venture and the exploitation of technology assets
- a global provider of professional technical and management support services in several strategic acquisitions and the disposition of a business unit
- a major entertainment company in several transactions, including in its bid to acquire rights to a popular comic strip, its acquisition of a game development company, and its bid to acquire a distressed motion picture, television, and theatrical production and distribution company
- a Chinese investment fund in an acquisition of a U.S. pulp mill company
- a private equity fund in an acquisition of a sporting goods retailer through a plan of reorganization
- a Taiwanese technology research and development company in its sale to a U.S. wireless device manufacturer
- an electronic payment processing company in a spin-off transaction in connection with a plan of reorganization
- a semiconductor developer in several strategic technology acquisitions
- a private equity fund in multiple acquisitions of, and investments in, start-up technology companies
- a consortium of investors in a bid to privatize a major U.S. airport
- a business development company in the unwinding of a Canadian Internet publishing joint venture
- a major owner and operator of hospitals and health care facilities in acquisitions, divestitures, and joint venture arrangements
- a global energy investment fund in the financing of a 30MW hydro-electric power project located in Mexico, a 122MW dual-fired combined cycle generating project located in New Jersey, a 68MW natural gas-fired combined cycle generating project located in Massachusetts, and a 63MW wind-farm in Texas
Prior to working at major law firms, Mr. Borrego served as assistant general counsel at American Capital Strategies, a publicly traded private equity and asset management company.
Mr. Borrego received a B.S., cum laude, in Psychology from California Lutheran University in 1998 and a J.D. in 2001 From the University of California, Berkeley, where he was a member of the La Raza Law Journal and a Bar Association of San Francisco scholar.
Honors & Awards
Mr. Borrego was named a “Rising Star” by the Southern California Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC-SoCal). The annual award honors young outside and in-house counsel and highlights their work and contributions to the legal community.
Mr. Borrego frequently serves as pro bono counsel. His pro bono representations include representation of children with special needs in connection with special education matters, Holocaust survivors in claims against the German and Hungarian governments, Hurricane Katrina victims with their FEMA-related appeals, an international human rights organization in various cross-border transactional matters, and a public charter school board in various corporate and policy matters.
Mr. Borrego also serves as an adjunct associate professor of law at Southwestern Law School, where he teaches a course on mergers and acquisitions. In addition, he is a member of the American Bar and Hispanic National Bar associations. Mr. Borrego serves on the Board of Directors of the Disability Rights Legal Center.
Speaker for the Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) 11th Annual CLE Expo panel, "International Mergers and Acquisitions: Where Are The Hot Spots?" March 22, 2012.
Speaker for the National Business Institute's Business Contracts A to Z seminar panel, "Drafting Business Contracts," August 20, 2012.
- District of Columbia
- University of California - Berkeley JD, 2001